SPA Tub Installation

Old 05-22-07, 01:21 PM
SPA Tub Installation

I have just ordered a SPA tub which runs on 240v and requires a 60 AMP GFCI to be installed between main panel and SPA. Here inlies my question.. I do not have an issue wiring from the main panel to the GFCI interrupt panel, however when wiring from the GFCI panel to the SPA I am only using the black, red (L1,L2) and ground. What do I do with the other netral wire (white) off the GFCI breaker (not the pig tail which goes to the neutral bus).

Other question is.. do I need to install an additional grounding post from the tub?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-07, 01:30 PM
I do not understand your question. It does not make sense.

Understand that hot tub and swimming pool installations are very tricky.

You do not add a ground.

You must use individual conductors outside the house. Cable is NOT allowed as it does not have an insulated ground wire. The tub motor and any other metal must all be bonded together. You need a convenience receptacle located within a certain distance from the tub. The list of rules is quite extensive., Unless you are familiar with it you will make a mistake ad fail inspection.

Old 05-22-07, 01:51 PM
If the spa doesn't use a neutral, I don't know what "other" neutral you are referring to. You would have one between the disconnect's buss and the main's buss, but none to the spa (though every one I've done did require it and it lands on the GFCI breaker.) The breaker's neutral lands on the neutral buss whether the spa has one to land on the GFCI breaker or not.

Old 05-23-07, 06:09 AM
SPA Install

Sorry for the confusing questions earlier however I think I have my answer. Let me see if I have it correct. From the main panel to the GFCI Interrupt I am using 4 wires #6 gauge (white, red, black , green). The two hot legs (red, black) get connected to the hot posts in the GFCI Panel, the white (neutral) gets connected to the neutral bus and the green is connected to the ground bus in the GFCI panel. While connecting the 60 AMP GFCI panel to the spa (which BTW only requires red, black and ground) I am running the green/ground to the ground post in the SPA, the RED and BLACK to the respective posts on the SPA. Now my orginal question is when connecting up the GFCI breaker itself within the panel the breaker has a pigtail (white/neutral) , black, red, and neutral (making this the second white or neutral) posts. I realize I connect the pigtail to the neutral bus within the panel, the other red and black posts get connect to the feed to the SPA, However what do I do with the other netral connection on the breaker itself? Do I connect it to the neutral bus as well as the pigtail or do nothing all?

SPA is a Sundance 880

THANKS very much for your time and patience.

Old 05-23-07, 07:02 AM
The neutral post on the GFCI breaker is for the neutral wire for the spa. Since you have no neutral, connect nothing there.

Old 05-23-07, 09:15 AM
Ah, okay. That's what I suspected would be the clarification. Last time you said "other wire" which was throwing me off. Land no neutral on the breaker, but you must still land the breaker's white pigtail on the disco's buss.