Do I need a new breaker?

Old 05-24-07, 12:03 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unhappy Do I need a new breaker?

Power to three rooms of my house stopped. (Daughter just noticed it this morning.) I looked at the circuit box. Nothing had tripped. Reset breakers to those areas anyway. Nothing happened. Cut main breaker. That didn't help either. Power to all other areas fine.

Is there some way I can figure out if I need a new circuit breaker or do I just have to call an electrician?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-07, 12:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many circuit breakers are involved, is there any pattern to them, and what rooms are the problems in? Does any portion of this circuit (these circuits) work?

Old 05-24-07, 02:30 PM
M
AHA!!! No overhead lights. All outlets work except the GCI outlet in the bathroom that also has the switch for the lights on it. House is 50 years old and when wiring went from fuses to breakers they did a weird job of grouping wires.

Old 05-24-07, 02:33 PM
M
Whoops!
Three rooms and one hall total. all at one end of the house.

Old 05-24-07, 02:59 PM
R
How many different circuits are involved? Is there any pattern to the circuit breakers for these circuits?

Did you try to reset the GFCI in the bathroom?

Old 05-24-07, 03:07 PM
J
The reason Bob keeps asking (in vain) if more than one circuit is involved is that if there are, the problem is probably not yours, and not yours to fix.

Old 05-24-07, 03:16 PM
M
2 circuits are involved. 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. For most of the breakers, there seems to be no pattern. Front porch light on garage circuit. Some kitchen on bedroom circuit, etc.
I did try to reset the GFCI thinking that that might be it. Nothing that easy.

There was a cat up in the attic on that side of the house - any chance it might have done something up there?

Old 05-24-07, 03:19 PM
M
Unhappy

John,

If the problem isn't mine???????? Then what do I do?

I hate this kind of thing. (BIG TIME FRUSTRATION HERE)

Old 05-24-07, 03:29 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If the problem affects multiple circuits, it can be the result of a loose connection in the power company's wires outside your house or in your meter or service panel. If you can confirm that the loss of power happened simultaneously on multiple circuits, you can call the power company. Many will come out and check their connections without charge to the homeowner.

If the problem only affects one circuit, then the power company connections are not the problem.

Old 05-24-07, 03:36 PM
M
Since I'm pretty sure that there are two circuits involved, should I call the power company before I call an electrician? It HAS been very windy here and there are some (small) downed branches on the ground - but that happens often. Maybe one of them hit the incoming line?

Bottom line, where do I go from here?

Old 05-24-07, 03:41 PM
J
Yes, you should call the power company before you call the electrician, for no better reason than the power company will likely respond more quickly and will probably not charge you anything. If the power company says everything on their side is fine, then you can call the electrician. The other nice thing is that the power company works 24x7. Be sure to tell them the the outage is on more than one circuit (otherwise they probably won't come out).

If it is what we are somewhat suspecting, you might want to avoid using any 240-volt appliances (e.g., cooking (if electric), clothes dryer (if electric), hot water heater (if electric), and air conditioner) until after they check things out.

If it's affecting two circuits, it's probably affecting more, but you just haven't discovered that yet.

Note that so far, this is just a hunch. There are still other possibilities.

And don't be shy about calling the power company. They get a dozen of these calls every day.

Old 05-24-07, 03:51 PM
M
Talking

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I hate having something like this happen and not knowing what to do about it. I appreciate you leading me in the right direction. Even if it's NOT something the power company can fix, at least I've exhausted that possibility.
Thank you again

Old 05-24-07, 04:12 PM
M
Thumbs up Thank you

I've called Progress Energy and they will be here within 2 hours!!!

You are teriffic!!

Old 05-24-07, 05:02 PM
M
Good grief!!! They've been here and gone!!!! Kudos to Florida's Progress Energy for their quick turnaround!!!!

Turns out it was a flipped breaker. It wasn't flipped before. (It was a totally different breaker) It flipped even after I switched off the main but it didn't do it right away so I missed it. AND he fixed up some outside wiring that had been done by an electricion over 8 years ago!!!

You saved me a ton of money.

This place is a blessing for single women.

THANK YOU