Electric Timer ?

Old 05-24-07, 01:48 PM
Electric Timer ?

Greetings, I just installed a 40gl. tank. i was wondering if an electric timer for it would offer any significant savings to my bill?

Thanks as always!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-07, 01:58 PM
I assume you mean a water heater. You didn't specify. You also didn't specify if this is gas (that need electricity for a fan) or electric. I assume electric, but I could be wrong.

You are likely to get different answers on this. Some will say yes, some will say no.

I think the answer depends on how you use hot water.

I don't have a timer on my gas water heater. We turn it off when we go away for more than 24 hours.

Old 05-24-07, 02:07 PM
sorry for leaving out the details. It is electric hot water, showers in the morning around 6am. then the house is left empty until around 5pm. then shower and dishwasher (used 3x weekly). So, it seems to me that there is lots of down time.

Thanks.

Old 05-24-07, 02:29 PM
However, the water in the tank remains warm during the day.

Old 05-24-07, 05:47 PM
You most likely wont see any significant savings with a timer unless the power company in your area offers a time of day discount. Try using a water heater blanket (insulated blanket) to help keep the water temperature up to where it should be. The water heater elements will only turn on if the water drops below a preset temperature. If this doesnt help, try turning back the temperature on the thermostats inside the water heater. Lower temp equals less run time, but dont go to low or you wont have enough hot water (10 degrees is plenty).