240V Difference between Red & Black Legs

Old 05-25-07, 12:03 PM
240V Difference between Red & Black Legs

Hi;

I'm in the process of hooking up a 240V receptacle for a laundry center we've purchased.

Is there a difference between the Red and Black leg, as far as hookup is concerned?

Are Red/Black leads prong specific? (excluding the neutral)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-07, 12:09 PM
No, it makes no difference which is which.

Before you continue, you should consider if you should be doing this work. At the very least you should do your homework. You have asked a basic question. Any decent book on home wiring would have fully explained this. Please buy and read at least one book on home wiring before your proceed.

Electricity can and does kill people. It also starts fires. Why chance it? Learn first, do second.

Old 05-25-07, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Actually, as basic as the question may seem, you'll notice that I am doing some homework by asking the question here in the forum.

I am familiar with peforming 120V work, This being the first for 240V, and I've done quite a bit of reading before performing this paticular job.

I'm using the proper gauge wire, outlet, etc.

A word about Support & Moderating... (which I've done for over 10 years)

Take care in wording when answering questions. Stay neutral, but helpful. Insure your responses don't come off to make the poster of the question feel like they shouldn't have bothered in the first place.

ie.

Before you continue, you should consider if you should be doing this work. At the very least you should do your homework. You have asked a basic question. Any decent book on home wiring would have fully explained this. Please buy and read at least one book on home wiring before your proceed.
You may even want to suggest a paticular book since you've mentioned it in your reply.

I'm not picking a bone here, just providing constructive feedback.

I appreciate your knowledge and time for answering my question.

Old 05-25-07, 02:08 PM
In all fairness to Racraft this forum probably gets close to a hundred questions a week on this subject. I'm surprised that Racraft hasn't gone stir-crazy answering the same question over and over again.

Old 05-25-07, 03:08 PM
Furd:

Let you know that Racraft have alot of patinice with alot of peoples asking the most common question in here

even thru the same thing with me with one of other forum[s] as well all we can do is try to make sure they understand the limit and what they can do and what they can't do on safety wise.

I am sure few other do help in here as well to be fair with everyone

Merci , Marc

Old 05-25-07, 03:15 PM
LBOCEAN,

I appreciate your response and your truthfulness. From your original post it is not possible to tell how knowledgeable you are (or are not). Most people who post here do not do their homework and expect to get all the answers here.

I appreciate that you have done some homework and are asking questions. And I did answer your question. Now all I am asking is that you finish your homework.

Old 05-25-07, 04:06 PM
"You may even want to suggest a paticular book since you've mentioned it in your reply"

We usually recommend the book "Wiring Simplified," available at Home Depot and other places.