Use exterior Romex outside house along wall?

Old 05-25-07, 07:21 PM
Use exterior Romex outside house along wall?

I want to add motion lights on the corners of my home and cant get into the small spaces of the attic to drop the wiring behind the walls. Can I run the wiring up into the attic then back down from a hole in the soffet and staple the wiring on the outside of the house near the soffet to the designated fixture? If not, what are my options?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-07, 08:05 PM
No, you cannot run the cable outside exposed. You can run conduit outside. If you do, you should run either individual conductors in the conduit or use UF cable.

Old 05-25-07, 09:28 PM
Short runs of conduit can just have plain NM Romex inside to get from the attic to the fixture box. I've not seen a Code against it, and I have this pass inspection here all the time, including from a panel up a conduit into an attic.

Bob, if there is a Code against this, I'd like to know; I don't recall actually looking for it once my inspectors didn't mind. If not, why do you recommend UF inside the conduit?

Old 05-26-07, 05:26 AM
My concern with a short run of NM outside a house is from the danger of water getting in the conduit.

Old 05-26-07, 07:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry, MAC,

Non-metallic , type NM-B, cable is not rated for use on the outside of a structure, regardless of a conduit sleeve or not. This is covered in the Code.

Old 05-26-07, 07:47 AM
In the title to the original post the poster asks about "exterior Romex." This implies UF cable, which is, of course, allowed outside, when properly protected.

Old 05-26-07, 08:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
MAC702 clearly mentions plain old NM Romex, this is what I was addressing.

I also do not think that UF exiting from the soffit and going into a box would constitute "physical damge" to trigger the need for a conduit sleeve. I certainly see enough UF installed without a sleeve.

Old 05-26-07, 09:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Agree with pcb. "Properly protected" is parallel to "not subject to physical damage".

Old 05-26-07, 11:29 AM
Well, there you have it, thanks. Good to know.