ceiling fan on patio-connect to existing light fixture

Old 05-26-07, 03:32 AM
Question ceiling fan on patio-connect to existing light fixture

I'm in AZ. and plan on installing a ceiling fan on my covered patio. I'd like to connect it electrically to our existing outside light fixture. Any tips or suggestions? External conduit? Add a junction box instead? What do the experts suggest?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-07, 04:30 AM
Standard lighting j-boxes are not usually strong enough to hold a fan. Install a proper fan j-box and be safe. There are boxes that can be installed into an existing hole with no extra holes to cut. Turn off power, and MARK all the wires in the box before you take anything apart.

Old 05-26-07, 06:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on the exterior finish of the house it may be possible to remove and/or fish the new wire into the existing box for the light. If not a surface mounted conduit or wireway would be the way to go.

Old 05-26-07, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on the exterior finish of the house it may be possible to remove and/or fish the new wire into the existing box for the light. If not a surface mounted conduit or wireway would be the way to go.

Old 05-26-07, 03:08 PM
Smile

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm going to use a proper junction box for the fan (with support) and since the existing outside light is on the stucco wall versus the covered ceiling looks like I'll need to run conduit to the power. At first I was going to try to retain the existing light and tie into it's juice...but then I got some sleep and realized DOH! that the fan can have a light kit...the things one thinks of when working too late! Thanks again!