Ceiling fan on dimmer???

Old 05-26-07, 03:14 PM
Sip
Ceiling fan on dimmer???

Hi,

The prior owners had a kitchen remodel done. They tied in all the recessed lighting into the existing wiring for a ceiling light but instead of keeping a light, they put a plate on it. I was thinking of putting a small fan on this in the center of the kitchen but the switch is a dimmer. My lamps are all CFLs so i know the total load on the dimmer is low but my question is will this damage the fan to be on a dimmer controled circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-07, 03:20 PM
Yes, the dimmer will probably damage the fan's motor.

Also, to support a fan you need a fan rated junction box in the ceiling.

Old 05-26-07, 03:44 PM
Also, to quote from GE's website: "To use a compact fluorescent bulb on a dimmer switch, you must buy a bulb that's specifically made to work with dimmers (check the package). GE makes a dimming compact fluorescent light bulb (called the Energy Smart Dimming SpiralsŪ) that is specially designed for use with dimming switches. We don't recommend using regular compact fluorescent bulbs with dimming switches, since this can shorten bulb life. (Using a regular compact fluorescent bulb with a dimmer will also nullify the bulb's warranty.)"

Old 05-27-07, 06:36 AM
Sip
Yup, i've got the dimmable bulbs in already.
Any idea as to the damage it will cause to the fan? I mean, is it worth it to get a fan and instruct all the members of my house not to turn it on unless the dimmer is on 100% and then take the risk of someone forgetting?

Old 05-27-07, 08:57 AM
A dimmer at full power is still not 100 percent.

Change the switch, or install a second switch for the fan.

Old 05-27-07, 01:47 PM
Sip
I have a switch outlet on one wall with nothing attached to it which i could use to control the fan but i have no idea how to fish a line from it to the ceiling. I'm sure entire courses can be taught on fishing wires... but any pointers, or any web sites you could recommend for lessons?

Old 05-27-07, 03:30 PM
Fishing cables in an existing structure is more art than science. Those of us that have done it have learned through trial and error, sometimes a lot of error. Luckily drywall repair is usually pretty easy and relatively inexpensive.

Probably not what you wanted to read.

Old 05-27-07, 08:05 PM
One of the best tools I ever bought for fishing in walls is the Greenlee Glo Stix. They also make just Fish Stix; the former glow in the dark, the latter do not.

Anyway, they are at Home Depot, but rather expensive. You can accomplish the same thing with a short section of fishing pole or other flexible rod, even bent coat hangers.

Locate the stud bay in the attic and drill through the top plate of the wall in that area. Don't worry about missing too much. As long as you are drilling straight down, you can make a lot of holes if you need to before you get the right bay. Take off the plate and device and put a hole in the top of the box in the wall first. A flashlight directed up through the hole will make it easier to see it when you get the hole in the attic in the right spot.

This all assumes we have an attic...

Old 05-27-07, 10:30 PM
Group Moderator
No need to hunt by hit and miss for stud bay location. If a Sheetrock ceiling just tap a 6d nail through the ceiling into the attic next to the wall over the correct location. For other ceiling materials a 1/8" drill bit may be needed.

I would normally use a Sawzall to cut loose the existing box to leave a hole to fish the new wire. Done carefully a pop-in box can then be used and there will be no need to even repair the sheet rock except for the very small nail hole in the ceiling.

Old 05-28-07, 06:58 AM
nap
a friend used a coathanger in battery drill and uses that to drill (from below) up into the attic to locate.

the small hole is generally hidden with simply a dot of spackling with generally no need to even paint. It is generally so small it is not seen.