Terminating Underground Feeder wires

Old 05-28-07, 10:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Terminating Underground Feeder wires

I am in the process of building a pillar with Unilock stones, which will have a lantern at the top and a GFCI outlet at the side. Each circuit is fed by 14/2 NMWU underground feeder wires through 1 1/2" PVC conduit burried 18" deep below the front walkway pavers. The conduit enters the garage wall with a Type LB. I have two questions. First, how would you best complete the wiring from the garage to the main panel in the house? I was going to install a junction box where the UF wires enter the garage , and then feed the box from the main panel with regular NM wires. Is this acceptable? Is there a better way to complete the wiring? My main concern is to make sure the job is done according to code. Second, I am wondering if I could have used individual wires (Hot, Neutral, Ground) through the conduit? According to Home Depot, outdoor underground wiring should pass through a conduit and only NM underground Feeder wire should be used. Is this true? Pulling individual wires through a conduit is much easier than the more rigid NM wires. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read.

Old 05-28-07, 11:45 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can use individual THWN wires in the conduit. And you can transition to NM once inside a junction box in the house.

Old 05-29-07, 11:50 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
> I was going to install a junction box where the UF wires enter the
> garage , and then feed the box from the main panel with regular NM wires.
> Is this acceptable?

Yes. You may also just continue with the UF cable indoors if you have enough of it and don't want to bother with a j-box to transition to NM.

> According to Home Depot, outdoor underground wiring should pass
> through a conduit and only NM underground Feeder wire should be used.
> Is this true?

Not exactly. Underground wiring can be accomplished with any of several types of direct burial cable (such as UF-B "underground feeder"); or with individual conductors (THWN) in conduit. UF cable can also be installed in conduit, but this is not usually done as individual conductors are so much easier to pull into conduit.

What is not allowed is the use of NM-B "Romex" cable underground; this type of cable is not waterproof and is for indoor use only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: