Old work box too small - against chimney--

Old 05-29-07, 09:41 PM
Old work box too small - against chimney--

Hi- I'm wiring some much needed outlets in my house. My chimney is closed off and unused since I have gas heat now. I strung the wire to two of the rooms that use the chimney wall and put old-work boxes in them and it worked great. The third one is too shallow. No one around here has any old-work boxes that are shallow enough that they don't bottom out on the brick of the chimney. I'm about 1/4" too deep. Can I buzz the back off the box, or will that defeat the whole point? I found a very shallow box (8 ci) but it doesn't have anything decent to attach it with (it's for low-wattage).

I could maybe construct my own with some caulk adhesive and cutting the back off the box and re-attaching it. Any ideas?

G

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-07, 03:23 AM
Since you have a solid surface behind where the box is going, just use a non-cut-in box of the right depth (or more shallow and shim it), attaching to the brick with masonry anchors and screws. You should be able to find shallow "handy boxes."

Is everything you've attempted so far a plastic box? The make metal cut-in boxes as well, they might be more shallow, too.

Old 05-30-07, 05:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try to find one of these. They should be available in your home center. You will only be able to install one 14-2 with ground cable and your receptacle due to space constraints.

http://www.carlon.com/scripts/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_thumbs&path=Zip%20Box%20Blue%20Outlet%20and%20Switch%20Boxes&tn=1

Look for the B108R-upc

Old 05-30-07, 08:16 AM
ok, thanks. That's the one that I bought. I wish there was a more solid way to attach it like the other old work boxes. I have 1" thick plaster/sheetrock combination here and it's a beast to get screws to stay into. I'll see if I can make it work.

tks-

G

Old 05-30-07, 08:22 AM
It is time to break the rule about WD 40 and Duct tape, and use liquid nails.

Old 05-30-07, 08:48 AM
I'm going to run to HD, they said they have the carlon old work box that's 2" deep with the ears... in reality, this *should* work. Liquid nails sounds good I've got to durabond one hole that my mindless state cut too big. Kinda hard for those mounting ears to grab on if the entire box slips through the hole - duh

I think I'll silicone the tops of all these boxes, just because it is above the chimney, should it ever develop a leak around the flashing, which I don't expect, but just in case. I always forget to take assumed-time X 10 = actual time to finish project