140 feet to outlets (outdoor) loss of power?

Old 06-01-07, 09:10 AM
140 feet to outlets (outdoor) loss of power?

I am wanting to figure out the wiring for 2 120 sq ft sheds we are adding to the backyard (each will be insulated drywalled small 5 amp airconditioner etc more like a hobby room than a shed. I am planning on tapping into a 20 amp ciurcuit with nothing but a gfci receptacle on it located at our pool shed 75 ft from our house The potential problem will be that by time I get to the sheds it will be about 140 ft from the original house panel to the sheds. I plan on using 12 gauge wire

Is there power loss associated with this length or run am I ok? A freind suggested that we run a sub panel at the shed for this, is this really necessary? would that help the power loss situation?

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-07, 09:34 AM
Your proposal is ill-advised.

Yes, you will have power loss at the end of the run. You will have trouble with those air conditioners.

At the very least I suggest a brand new 20 amp multi-wire circuit using 10 gage wire. More appropriately I suggest a small sub panel using 8, or perhaps even 6 gage wire.

Old 06-01-07, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What other types of tools will you be using in the sheds?

Old 06-01-07, 02:16 PM
Cool hmmm ok I have to rethink this then with this new info...

Your proposal is ill-advised. Yes, you will have power loss at the end of the run. You will have trouble with those air conditioners

I don't like the answer but It sounds like reality and good to know now in the planning stages...

the outlet by the pool shed we have used for small tools, like leaf blower, drills, hand saw, etc probally most amps in our electric chain saw (10 amps tho). so yah probally couldn't use some of those at the same time as air conditioners etc... inside the to be converted sheds stuff like sewing machine, small tv, exercise equipment etc..

ok our big plan is to have 5 of these sheds back there. we have another line we can actually use for this that right now is just being used as a outdoor receptacle under the service panel plus one more that is available on a knockout. My freind suggested using these 2 110 lines to bring in 220 into a sub panel back by the sheds. to be used on all 5 sheds. At the original panel would I put in say a 30 or 40 amp breaker on these lines heading to the sub panel on the sheds? a 60 amp or 80 sub panel?

And use like you said #6 or #8 wire?

is that kinda of the idea we are talking about?

(Sorry done indoor wiring quite a bit but havent really touched the panel and outdoor before this although it makes sense to me how to do it)

Thanks for the comments and help...

Old 06-01-07, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Each air conditioner should (IMHO) ideally be on it's own circuit because of high starting current. Yet another reason the other replies are the best course.