finishing off bonus room

Old 06-02-07, 01:52 PM
finishing off bonus room

We just built a new home several months ago, and left the bonus room over the garage unfinished. It is studded, insulated, and there is one 20 amp circuit that the builder ran to the room. There is one outlet as well as a switch that controls the porcelain fixture on the ceiling. Basically, I need to do a couple things before the sheetrock.
1) finish running the wire and add outlets
2) add a switch and ceiling fixture for the closet
3) add a ceiling fan box and make sure the proper wire is installed from that switch to it.

My questions are: what type and gauge of wire do I use? I am assuming NMB but I don't know what gauge or even what the difference is.
-Do I run the wiring for the other outlets off of the outlet the builder installed?
-How do I connect the closet fixture and switch to the circuit?

TY163

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-07, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will need 12-2wg NM-B (yellow Romex) for the receptacles. Yes, you can tap off the existing receptacle for the rest.

Pick up a few books at a home center on residential wiring. These will come in VERY handy. It will tell you how to connect everything up, safely.

Is this going to be a bedroom? If so, there are specific code requirements that need to be met.

Old 06-02-07, 07:09 PM
If this room is going to be a bedroom then you will ned to install an AFCI breaker and smoke detector. Standard 6/12 rule will apply for receptacle spacing.

Old 06-02-07, 07:33 PM
The builder ran extra phone/cable line into the room for me and there is a smoke detector on the ceiling as well. What type of boxes do I need and are there certain types of receptacles as well? It will be a guest bedroom/playroom. Does there also need to be a reinspection of the work? The nice thing too is the builder marked the areas where the recepticles should be.

TY163

Old 06-02-07, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it's just studs right now, get some blue New Work boxes. Single gang = 1 receptacle, double = two, etc.

You will have to call your local building inspectors office. Most likely, this is going to have to be inspected prior to drywall going up.

Old 06-03-07, 07:44 AM
For the ceiling fan, install 12/3 or 14/3 (if installed on a 15A circuit). You will thank me.

Old 06-12-07, 06:13 PM
Well, I'm glad I decided to recheck things before I bought any supplies. The room only has a 15 amp circuit running to it. After a little digging, it appears that the wire comes from the panel, to the switch, in the recepticle and out of the recepticle, then up to the light in the center of the room. I need to add 6 more outlets, and one closet light with switch. Any ideas on which way might be best to go about finishing this off.

Ty163

Old 06-12-07, 06:33 PM
I don't understand your uq0estion. You know what you need, so add it.

Old 06-12-07, 06:40 PM
My question is where do I begin to finish it off? Do I run 14/2wg from the ceiling light through each recepticle, into the closet switch and end the circuit with the closet light?

TY163

Old 06-12-07, 06:44 PM
Start it from wherever you have power. Since you haven't told us how it;s wired we can't tell you the best way. Run in the most logical manner.

Old 06-12-07, 08:02 PM
Well, I'm not really a newbie with this stuff, I understand basic wiring, but I just want to make sure I'm not wiring things together that shouldn't be wired together. As for how its wired, I'm not sure what you're asking me. The wire comes from the panel, to the switch, from the switch to the recepticle, from the recepticle to the ceiling light. Maybe I should undo the wiring, and run a new circuit for the recepticles and the current one just for the ceiling light and switch.

TY163

Old 06-13-07, 05:41 AM
All you have indicated is that you have a wire running. You do not tell us what type of wire. Is it 14-2? 14-3?

If you have full power at the light (doubtful) you can feed other receptacles from there?

If you have full power at the receptacle (maybe, if there is 14-3 from the switch to the receptacle) then you can feed other receptacles from there.

However, if you do not have full power at the existing receptacle, then you either need to get full power there or you need to feed from the switch.

First, decide what you want. If you want all the receptacles to be always hot, that's one thing, however, if you want the ability to switch any of them or all of them, that's another thing.

As for how to ruin the wires, it all depends on the exact layout of the room and where you want them to be.

Old 06-13-07, 07:57 PM
I believe all the wires are 14-2(No Red or Blue). I do want all the recepticles to be hot. If I understand you, I should, or could run a 14-3 from the switch to the recepticle then run the other outlets off that. I guess its not really a matter of how I want to run the wires, its a matter properly connecting them together throughout the circuit.

TY163

Old 06-13-07, 08:06 PM
From my standpoint, I don't care how much wire you use. What's important to me is that you do not exceed box fill and that you run the wires safely and according to code.

Hooking up the wires is the easy part. If you are having trouble with that, then you aren't ready for the task yet. Buy and read two or three books on home wiring. They will give you the basics. You need to do this, as we cannot possibly answer all your questions (until you at least ask them) or tell you everything here. Then, when you are done reading and have sopecific questions we can answer them.

Old 08-24-07, 02:31 PM
Ok, I read some books and the wire for the room is run. Power came into and out of the receptacle, then to the light switch. I replaced 14-2 in the ceiling with 14-3 and installed a double gang box for the fan. To continue the circuit, the most logical manner of doing so, given the layout of the room, is to feed from the switch to another receptacle on the wall, then around the room and end with the light for the closet. None of the wires are connected as of yet, just the wiring is run. I assume pigtailing at the switch box is needed.
TO connect the wires and switches should I connect the black feeds coming in and out of the box together, then the whites togehter, grounds together, then use two pigtails to connect the blacks to the switch terminals? WOuld this be too many wires in the box? I bought all extra deep boxes. 22cu in I believe.

TY163