Adding a generator and transfer switch to a breaker box.

Old 06-02-07, 05:37 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding a generator and transfer switch to a breaker box.

Anyone who can solve this problem is a genious. Today I added a generator and transfer switch box to my current breaker box. Hooked everything up as described in the installation instructions. Started up generator and transfered power to the transfer box which immediately caused two of my 15amp brakers in my main breaker box to kick off. I noticed they were AFCI breakers. All other breakers in both the main box and transfer box worked correctly. A WARNING came with the instructions stating the AFCI protection will be lost when running on generator power. I have no problem with that concept. Not sure how to wire the AFCI breakers to keep them from kicking off when I use the generator. The instructions that came with the transfer switch did not supply any information about wiring the AFCI breakers. Is there any one out there that might have come across this problem? If so please HELP!!!
Thanks

Old 06-02-07, 06:43 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm probably not allowed to say what I would do...

I will say that I've not yet seen a single case that would justify to me the requirement to have AFCI breakers.

Old 06-02-07, 08:57 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The AFCI breakers should not trip UNLESS your transfer switch / panel uses interconnected neutrals.

I know that this is allowable (interconnected neutrals) but I don't like them and prefer a totally isolated transfer panel.

At any rate, I don't see it as a problem because you will only run the generator for testing purposes and when the utility power is out. For testing of the generator, tripping of the AFCI's is merely a nuisance and when the gennie is supplying standby power (i.e. no utility power) the AFCI's in the main panel won't be energized.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: