Bathroom lights and fan not working

Old 06-03-07, 11:32 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom lights and fan not working

I've got a problem with the bathroom lights and fan not working. The wall outlet in the bathroom still has power to operate appliances, but the lights and fan cannot be turned on. I have tried turning off the main power to the whole house and turning it back on, still unable to find the problem. This is a 5 year old house. Should I just call an electrician, or can I fix the problem myself. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-03-07, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is possible a ground fault circuit interrupter in another room has tripped. Check the other bathroom to see if it has happened. Your lights and fan should be on a separate circuit from the receptacles, but it is possible they are tied to another bath. Post back with results of your search. Don't go turning off the main breaker in the house unless you shut down all the breakers in the house individually, then bring them back up again in a timed sequence.

Old 06-03-07, 02:59 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I doubt very much that it is a GFCI in another bathroom. That should NOT be the case in a five year old house.

Are the light and fan on the same circuit as the GFCI receptacle in the bathroom, or a different circuit. If you don't know, you should.

Regardless, this is most likely a failed connection. Check the connections at the light and fan, at the switch, and if necessary everywhere else on the circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: