Wiring a detached pole barn--help!

Old 06-04-07, 02:28 PM
Wiring a detached pole barn--help!

I just finished a detached 30x40 polebarn. I'm putting in a 100amp siemens panel wired via 2gauge 4 wire to a 200 amp main in the house. I've seen a lot of other pole barns in the area wired with just romex. I asked the builder and he said that's fine as long as all outlets are above 18" (all mine will be above 3' for workbenches). The guy at Lowe's said the same thing as long as the wire is awy from possible damage (such as on the sides of the posts). He sold me metal boxes with the plastic wire locks. Some day I may run studs between the posts and drywall, so I figured romex would be easier. I can't seem to get any real answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-07, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The code is somewhat vague in this regard which is why there is no straight answer. All it says is that NM-B "Romex" must be protected in exposed areas. Some building inspectors assume that means metal boxes and conduit down the walls, others will allow it to be just stapled to the sides of wood frame posts or studs. A call to the local building inspector should tell you. My opinion is that stapled to the side of the posts is acceptable for areas in the building. If you know that some wall is more exposed, then sleeve the NM in conduit down those walls. In either case, the cable does not need additional protection in the ceiling of the pole barn.

One thing to add is that all 120V receptacles in unfinished (non-living space) areas need to have GFCI protection regardless of the wiring method.

Old 06-04-07, 04:32 PM
Thanks, that's the most straight forward answer yet. As for the GFCI, how many outlets can go after it?

Old 06-04-07, 07:10 PM
There is no limit to the number of receptacles that be placed after a GFCI receptacle. Some people think there is or use a figure, but the real answer is that there is no limit.

I don;t know how many circuit you are planning for the perimeter of the building, but I would go with at least two, and then you would be fine with one GFCI as the first on each circuit.