protectice gloves

Old 06-06-07, 11:04 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: orange county
Posts: 286
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question protectice gloves

Working in main panels can be especially dangerous. I have deciced to always wear protective gloves when working in the main panel (especially when pulling off cover plate) . Can anyone recommend a good pair. An electrician friend of mine said he wears an industrial pair of rubber gloves (gotten at H.D.), and a regular pair of leather gloves on top of those. (seems rather clumsy but..)
Old 06-06-07, 11:17 AM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 47
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sidecutter, if you are a qualified/licensed electrician you should get training in NFPA 70E. It deals with electrical safety and proper PPE (personal protective equipment). This information is important and is enforced by OSHA.

If you are not a qualified/licensed then you have no business doing this type of work.

Sorry about being so blunt, but next someone will wear dishwashing gloves to service 480 live. Wake up out there before someone gets hurt.
Old 06-06-07, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,941
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Although just about any rubber gloves should work at 120V; technically, the only gloves which should be relied upon for anything live are insulated linesman gloves which are rated for specific voltages. Always wear leathers over the rubbers as sharp wires can easily penetrate the rubber.

I assume you mean that you are wearing gloves as an extra precaution and not actually working live.

I can't imagine why an electrician wouldn't just buy a pair of Class 00 linesman gloves. I think mine were less than $100 with leather over gloves and carrying bag.

For example:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: