wiring a sub-panel

Old 06-06-07, 02:37 PM
wiring a sub-panel

As I have previously posted (and thanks for the help thus far) I am upgrading my service to 200 amps and running a plethora of new wires throughout my turn of the century house. The new service panel is going to be located on the outside wall adjacent to the meter. I plan on drilling into the crawl-space (behind the panel) and running all of my wires from the crawlspace. My plan is to wire the upstairs first and use the new main-panel as a subpanel until I am finished rewiring the downstairs. This will allow me to slowly change over circuits until I am ready to make the final switch. So, my question:

I have one 50 amp (2-hot (attached to breaker) and 1 unsheathed copper cable attached the the neutral/ground bus) wire which was used for a downstairs electric stove which has been removed (switching to gas). I was hoping to use this wire to power my sub-panel as 50 amps is more then enough for making the transition. An electrician told me that I could use this 3-cable wire (which should be 4) by only connecting one of the sides of the panel. I believe this would just power half of my panel and restrict the usage to single breakers. Is this okay?

I have a 12/3 wire run which I am planing on spliting into two circuits (I allready owned the wire and it made the pulling easy) can I attach the two hot cables into seperate breakers under the above sub-panel setup? Neither of the breakers will be GFCI or AFCI.

A seperate question. I have allready installed GFCI recepticles in the upstairs bathroom and kitchen. . . do I need to install GFCI breakers when I rewire these outlets or can I just use the recepticles?

thanks. . sorry for such a long post.

-nalle

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 02:46 PM
You could only use the three wire cable to power half you old main panel. That would mean no 240 volt circuits. I am leery of this idea, but it would work.

If you do this then, no you cannot run a multi-wire circuit using 12-3 cable. A multi-wire circuit requires full 240 volt service to work properly.

When GFCI protection is required you can provide it with GFCI breakers or GFCI receptacles, or even faceless GFCIs. However, using more than one of those options is not recommended.

Old 06-06-07, 02:59 PM
""I have one 50 amp (2-hot (attached to breaker) and 1 unsheathed copper cable attached the the neutral/ground bus) wire which was used for a downstairs electric stove which has been removed (switching to gas). I was hoping to use this wire to power my sub-panel as 50 amps is more then enough for making the transition. An electrician told me that I could use this 3-cable wire (which should be 4) by only connecting one of the sides of the panel. I believe this would just power half of my panel and restrict the usage to single breakers. Is this okay? ""

>> this can be done.,, but i am not too crazy with it at all because one main moot point if you do move the old range wire some of the insluation materal can be brittle or can crack once you move it.

>> for 12-3 for split circuit that is not very fesitable because i treat this as MultiWire Branch Circuit [ MWBC] you need have two hot legs and netrual to work properly on this one just goggle MWBC it will explain pretty good between pro and con about this set up and the other thing please heed the waring about the MWBC this is too easy to abuse it if you dont understand it.

So for MWBC set up try to run to new breaker box but make sure you mark it carefully where it goes and the other thing if you run the MWBC at the first point and therefore after that make sure you run the pigtail on netual connection to the device you want to hook up [ it will expain in the MWBC question why ]

For the GFCI

If the GFCI repectaile is there in the bathroom that fine you can leave it there

if you have more question please do post it here,

Merci , Marc