Main service panel ground question

Old 06-07-07, 09:18 AM
Main service panel ground question

I had posted earlier about doing some work at my sister's house, and one of the requirements the inspector had for us was to install a ground rod, as whoever installed the panel did not install one. In looking at how the panel is currently wired, I'm wondering if there are other issues here, as well. As I posted earlier, there are 3 wires that come in from the overhead lines. 2 go to the main breakers, and a stranded bare connects to the neutral bar. The installer of the box then ran a jumper to a what I interpret to be the ground screw of the box, and connected the wire running from the water main to it.
The house has a lot of incomplete conduit runs, so I'm guessing the goal was to ground the box and conduit runs that were whole. My question is this...If I leave the water main ground connected as such, and add a ground rod wire on the neutral bar, would that meet the requirements of the inspector, or would I also need to move the water main wire to the ground bar as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Leave the GEC connected to the water main as-is; it is correct as you have described. In a main service panel, the ground and neutral are electrically equivalent; therefor, you may connect the #6 copper wire to the new ground rod at either the ground or neutral bar.

Old 06-07-07, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the information....