indoor/outdoor panel safety question?

Old 06-07-07, 08:59 AM
indoor/outdoor panel safety question?

I estimated I need 45-50 amps at most for the project I am doing (Wiring storage sheds). I was planning on attaching the sub panel box to the outside of one of the sheds until I saw the price and limitations of outdoor panels(expensive). Only one they had at home depot in might amp range rated outdoors was a 50 amp spa one which would only take 2 breakers for $100. I checked internet didn't find much there either.

The one I am considering then is rated indoor is a 60 amp panel with 4/breakers on it for $15 about at home depot.

Is it ok to mount it inside one of the small sheds (10X12) ? Any special safety steps you need to take mounting it inside vs outside? Does anyone know where to find outdoor boxes that you can run more ciurcuits on at a resanable price?

Thanks in advance this forum is great and has been very helpful!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go to an electrical supply house. They stock or can order panels in every configuration and size. HD only stocks a few common panels.

Yes, it's okay to mount a panel inside a shed. Same rules apply regarding the disconnect and ground rod.

Old 06-07-07, 06:05 PM
Thank you for the information.

Good to know you can get any size etc. I am in southern California near La Habra and close to the city of Industry. Anyone in the area have any local recommendations. (I found one BK electric but they say they are wholesale}

Thanks again for the help!