4 prong dryer cord, 3 prong receptacle

Old 06-07-07, 01:17 PM
4 prong dryer cord, 3 prong receptacle

My house has a 3 prong dryer receptacle. The dryer has a 4 prong cord (The diagram on the back states that it originally came with a 3prong cord but whoever put the 4prong cord on it removed the ground strap entirely). I have purchased the 3 prong cord and connected it, but I have not plugged the dryer in yet because the ground strap is missing. I purchased an 8 #12 awg green ground pigtail to use as a grounding strap. All documentation online I have seen states that the green wire may be used as a ground strap. However, online documentation (that I could find) states that 10awg is required for a dryer. Can 12awg be used?

(I popped the circuit breaker and loosened the receptable to verify there really are only 3 wires run from the breaker box to the receptacle which is why I am replacing the cord on the dryer and not the receptacle)

Thanks,

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're on the right track. To meet code, the ground wire/strap on the dryer should be #10 and not #12. The ground should be connected to the dryer frame by way of a tapped screw; ideally the same one that the grounding strap attached to originally.

Old 06-07-07, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your reply.

The original grounding strap is no longer attached so I have to purchase a new one. There were no #10 grounding wires available at Home Depot or Lowes so I had to purchase a #12. Are you stating that #12 is not sufficient to be used as a grounding strap on a dryer and I should not use it?

Old 06-07-07, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In my personal opinion, the #12 is sufficient for a ground strap; however the electrical code requires that the ground wire for 30A dryer circuits be #10. Home depot should be able to sell you a 1 foot piece of green #10 wire for about 30 cents.

Old 06-07-07, 02:22 PM
But then I would have to put the connectors on myself. Wonder if two 12 awg pigtail cables would suffice? Probably not, since the surge may only go down one and not both?

Old 06-07-07, 03:18 PM
I agree that the #12 is electrically sound, even though it does not meet the Code. If you used two, and both were connected well, you would have even more protection than a single #10, and probably still wouldn't meet the Code.

The pigtail does not need to a be a purposely designed unit sold as a pigtail. A scrap piece of #10 that is connected soundly to the screws would meet the Code.

Old 06-07-07, 04:19 PM
Thanks all! I ordered a ground strap from GE. 75 cents but won't arrive for 7-10 days. I will use BOTH 12awg ground cables until then.