Adding a 230V Outlet for a Air Compressor

Old 06-07-07, 03:07 PM
Adding a 230V Outlet for a Air Compressor

Hi Everyone,

New to this board and I need some clarification/opnions on adding a 230V oulet for a Air Compressor. I need to know what kind of breaker do I need and verify the cable I have is sufficent. Does it need to be a Single or Double Pole, etc? The Panel is a Cutler and Hammer, I believe.

TIA!

Below are the details on the motor.

HP - 5:SPL
Code - G
HZ-60
PH-1
RPM - 3450
Volts - 230
ENCL - DP
AMPS - 15.0
Time - Cont.
SF - 1:00
Form - KHH

The cable I have is labled as such:

E18679 (UL) Romex Sim pull, AWG 10 CU 2 CDR with AWG 10 Ground Type NM-B 600 Volts.

Dannyo

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 03:15 PM
The cable you have is more than sufficient. #12 and a 20A breaker are all you need. You can still use the larger cable with the 20A breaker.

Will the compressor be located in the same room as the breaker box? Or will you have another means of turning off the compressor? You can use a 240V 20A plug and receptacle if you want.

A typical set-up would be to use your Romex to go to the receptacle, and then use an SO-type cord (12/3) with a plug from the motor.

Old 06-08-07, 07:53 AM
The compressor is located within a couple of feet from the box. But I went ahead and added a receptacle. The compressor has a cable/three prong plug running from a pressure switch with a cutoff to the receptacle, then the motor wires are connected to the pressure switch.

What about the breaker, what type do I need to get? It needs to be a double pole?

Thanks for your help!

Dannyo

Old 06-08-07, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Double pole 20A breaker, type HACR (most modern breakers carry this rating). Some cutler panels use the BR series breakers and some use the CH series breakers; look at your existing breakers and make sure to get the correct series.

If the motor trips the 20A on startup, you may increase to a 30A; but only do this if necessary.

Old 06-08-07, 03:54 PM
One other question, I have a white, black and ground wire, the ground wire obviously will go the gnd buss, both the white and black wires will go to the breaker correct?

Being that it is a Phase 1 it does not matter which port on the breaker I connect it to, correct?

You guys have been great! I'm about to do this as I'm off to the store for the breaker. Everything else is ready.

Thanks again!

Dannyo

Old 06-08-07, 09:10 PM
Correct, but please recolor the white wire with a marker or tape to any color except white, grey or green. Do this at both ends.

Old 06-11-07, 12:08 PM
10-4!

Thanks everyone your help! Compressor is up and working. I will need to re-color the white wire.

Thanks again!

Dannyo