Tapping into lighting circuit for 1 receptacle?

Old 06-07-07, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wink Tapping into lighting circuit for 1 receptacle?

Gentleman/Ladies,

I do not have access to my "residential electrical books" because I'm here on vacation in Boston.

Here's the situation, my father had a "friend" install a TV on the wall (not a plasma or LCD) in the bedroom. This "friend" just punched a small hole in the wall behind the set, and ran the power and coax cables through the wall, into the closet in the opposite bedroom, and plugged them into a extension cord! YIKES!

So, to help alleviate this possible fire hazard, I was wanting to install a receptacle at this location using the closet "lighting" circuit (20amp) that's right next to it. This circuit powers the two closet lights, and the bedroom light only, so there is enough power.

And I know that bedrooms these days need to be AFCI protected, so we will skip that for now!

Is my proposal safe? I know it may not be to exact code, but the current setup needs to be changed. I will be using 12/2 NM-B

It would be to difficult for me to run a new circuit from the panel in the basement, all the way up to the third floor. in the time that I am here.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 02:40 PM
Hot: Although it is customary to run lighting and receptacles on different circuits, there is no prohibition in having a receptacle on the same circuit, provided the wire size from the breaker is sufficient ie. 12-2 for a 20 amp circuit. You will have to go ahead of the switch unless the power is to the light fixture first. Do you know how you will be pulling the power yet?
It is amazing what can happen when you turn your back, huh?

Old 06-07-07, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only code problem I see if the lack of an AFCI breaker (which may or may not be required by local code). There's no problem mixing bedroom lights and receptacles.

Old 06-07-07, 03:12 PM
Great!

I will be using the junction box that the current closet light is attached too to pull the power from.

This closet light does not have a switch, but the pull string type. I could add a switch if it's required.

I'm going to have to replace this closet light anyways, because the pull string no longer works.

Old 06-07-07, 08:10 PM
A setup this old may not be a properly grounded circuit. You do not want to run this unit on anything but a properly grounded circuit.

Old 06-08-07, 05:56 AM
All the circuits in this home have a bare ground, and are properly grounded in the main panel.