Porch Ceiling Fan Low Voltage Hum

Old 05-26-07, 11:25 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Porch Ceiling Fan Low Voltage Hum

I've narrowed down both of my front porch ceiling fan hums to a low voltage situation. This occurs only when the dedicated switch (regular, not a dimmer) is on. These were installed by a previous owner - they appear rated for outdoor service (black finish and non-warping blades, seals etc). Many thanks to your archives helping me narrow this down quickly. How do I increase the voltage necessary? Either by upgrading wire gauge or a home run wire to the panel with proper gauge (I have several breakers disconnected from previous service)? Just needing confirmation. Thanks

Old 05-26-07, 12:46 PM
R
Why do you think you are getting a low voltage? What size wire is presently there? I doubt very much that you really have a low voltage situation due to the wires used, assuming it is the required 14 or 12 gage.

Old 06-09-07, 09:15 AM
R
Question Ceiling Fan Hum and Low Voltage

If the loud hum is not low voltage from the motor, what would you suspect? Since both fans emit the loud humming when the power is on (the bearings nor other mechanical feature appears to be causing, since while they rotate after cutting off the switch, no noise then happens). There should be 12 or 14 gauge as you say, and less than 60' to the breaker box.

Old 06-09-07, 10:51 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Magnetic flux causing stator/rotor leaves to vibrate. May be do to poor construction of fan. Have you ever heard a fluorescent light ballast hum? Does it sound similar.

Old 06-09-07, 11:50 AM
J
Sounds like the motors are going bad.

The fact that you have no problem while the power is off only means the power is off.

My old car does not backfire when the motor is not running either. Does this mean that I have a low gas flow problem?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: