Motion light not working properly

Old 06-07-07, 08:38 PM
Motion light not working properly

I am having trouble with a motion light in my backyard. It has been working fine until recently, but now it can't seem to detect any motion in normal operating mode. I don't know what brand the fixture is because it was already there when I bought my house. It has two flood light bulbs, a sensor with a test / 4 min / 12 min slider switch, and a sensitivity knob.

When I set the slider switch to "test", the light will activate properly for the area that I want covered. I walk around, and it comes on for a few seconds and then turns off, and reactivates when I move again. The sensor is detecting me and turning the bulbs on in "test" mode. But when I set the switch back to "4 min" or "12 min" for normal operation, the sensitivity suddenly goes away. I can't get the light to come on when I walk in the same area where it detected me in "test" mode, or even when I wave my hand right in front of the sensor. The sensitivity knob is set to maximum.

Has anyone here experienced this problem? Any ideas on a solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 09:07 PM
You will NOT be able to activate the light at all during daylight UNLESS it's in the test mode. The test mode bypasses the photocell to enable the motion sensor to work in daylight for setup.
Have you tried testing the 4 & 12 after dusk?
Motion sensors can & do fail. If it won't work with 4 or 12 minute delay at night, replace the sensor head.

Old 06-08-07, 06:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Andrew is correct.

I found this out the hardway. I installed two new motion lights on my garage, in the daytime, and was upset when they didn't come on.

It took about an hour of thinking to realise they won't detect motion in the daytime, for obvious reasons! I felt stupid.

Old 06-08-07, 07:29 AM
They do detect motion in the daytime, but the photocell overrides the motion detector.

Old 06-08-07, 08:35 PM
Sorry, I didn't mention this important detail: I tried what I described in my first post *at night*. It will come on and go off in "test" mode, but will not activate in "4 min" or "12 min" mode at night, even if I wave my hand right in front of the detector.

Still, I wonder if the problem could be a bad photocell. Could it be that the photocell is broken, disconnected, or shorted out, so the light "thinks" it's always day and doesn't activate the bulbs unless I put it in test mode?

Old 06-09-07, 12:55 PM
Could be any number of things. Replace the motion detector head.
Good luck!