GFCI plug tripping

Old 06-08-07, 08:45 AM
GFCI plug tripping

An electrician told me that i have too many GFCI plugs on one line. He also said that this is causing them to trip when they are not supposed to and that i should remove some of them. The problem is that the plugs are all located in bathrooms with the exception of one in the garage. If i remember correctly, GFCIs are required near water sources. If i remove the one in the garage, could this solve my problem? If not, is there anything else that could help me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 08:52 AM
GFCIs in series are just a waste of money, and a source of potential difficulty figuring out which one to reset when one of them trips.

In the past, the electrician you talked to would have been correct. But today, GFCI technology has advanced tremendously and GFCIs in series are far more likely to cause a false tripping problem.

Note that you can wire multiple GFCIs on one circuit in two different ways. It is common in certain situations (e.g., multiwire circuits) to wire multiple GFCIs in parallel on one circuit. This is common and causes no problem. You can also wire them in series (only the GFCI electronics are in series; they are not in series from an electrical circuit point of view). This is not useful as explained in my first paragraph.

Old 06-08-07, 09:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To expand on what John said, it is common for one GFI receptacle to protect several regular receptacles downstream from the GFI. They would just be wired into the LOAD side terminals at the GFI.

If you wanted to keep all the GFI receptacles and avoid the one upstream from seeing all the other ones you could move all the wires, except the grounds, to the LINE side terminals. This way you would not have to search to see which one tripped.