Wiring for Tanning Bed

Old 06-08-07, 12:41 PM
Wiring for Tanning Bed

I just purchased a 32 bulb home tanning bed.It requires 240 volt/20 amp dedicated circuit NEMA 6-20R.My Breaker Box is full so I'm guessing I need a jumper box to install this dedicated circuit.I've done a little wiring before but I'm far from knowing what the pros know.Can anybody lead me on the path of the exact materials I need to do this job and how to do it correctly?If I need to add more info please let me know.Thanks for any and all advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 12:53 PM
You do not necessarily need a sub panel. If your panel accepts tandem breakers then you can install two of them on existing 20 circuits and free up to spaces.

To do this job properly you need to do some reading. This is not a job you should tackle until you understand the nuances of a sub panel. We can fill in the gaps and answer questions, but our answer should NOT be your main source of information.

The steps involved (without filling all the details) are:

Install a breaker in your main panel to feed the sub panel.
Install the sub panel near the main panel.
Install the appropriate sized cable or wire in conduit between the panels.
Correctly wire the sub panel.
Wire your new circuit off the sub panel.

Note that the size sub panel you install will depend on what your future needs might be. I wouldn't go smaller than a 100 amp panel.

Old 06-08-07, 02:07 PM
What panel and breaker brand and type do you have now?

Old 06-11-07, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the reply Racraft and MAC702.I think it's better to let the pros handle this one.I have an electrician coming out today to get the job done.I think I will just stick to the simple electrical tasks.Thanks again.