Lights dim in house when central A/C kicks on.

Old 06-10-07, 08:48 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lights dim in house when central A/C kicks on.

I just had my house electric upgraded from 100 amp to 200 amp service. When I turn my air compresser on, the lights in my house dim for 1 to 2 seconds. Also when my central A/C and well pump come on, I get that power drop for 1 to 2 seconds. So I turned all my lights out except for one and waited for A/C to kick on just to be sure I was not over loaded and the light dimmed. Did same for well pump. My electrician said it is normal. My neighbor has 200 amp service and when I asked him, he said his lights never dim when his AC or well pump came on. What can I ask my electrician to check to see what is causing this? Howard

Last edited by mattison; 06-10-07 at 09:01 AM. Reason: E-mail address removed.
Old 06-10-07, 08:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This IS normal and varies from house to house. Your neighbor might be very close to the power company's transformer.

Old 06-10-07, 04:28 PM
J
You could complain to your power company, and there's a slim chance that they might remedy the situation. They might have some cable or transformer on the list to be upgraded, and maybe your complaint will move it up higher on the list. Try to make it sound like you have plans that involve buying a lot more power from them if only you could get it without making your lights dim.

On the other hand, it might be something as simple as a bad connection that they could remedy merely by tightening it. Your complaint might cause them to at least come out and check.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: