hubbell twist lock wet location receptacle

Old 06-10-07, 05:24 PM
Question hubbell twist lock wet location receptacle

We are planning a fish pond in an outdoor flowerbed. The spot of choice has a covered "twist lock" receptacle; can we use the existing setup somehow or should me put the pond elsewhere? I think there will be a small filter and a light involved...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-07, 05:51 PM
If the existing receptacle is on a circuit of the correct voltage and overcurrent protection, and if it was installed according to code, and the circuit has sufficient excess capacity for the new loads you are putting on it, I see no reason you can't use it.

If you read the above sentence carefully, you'll discover that there are several things you should check out before proceeding. If you provide the information suggested, we can help with that.

Old 06-10-07, 06:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The term "a covered 'twist lock' receptacle" tells us very little. All we know from that is that it is a receptacle.
What is the voltage, the amperage and the wire size????

As John said, you need to know specifically what you need; specifically what your have; and if it is safe.

Old 06-11-07, 07:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Outdoor twist lock receptacles are pretty rare. Is there any chance this was designed to run a pool pump motor?

Old 06-12-07, 12:25 PM
Red face more info re: "twist lock" receptacle

Sorry for the incomplete post: It is marked 20A 125V; has one receptacle with nothing plugged into it. It is possible it was originally for a hot tub, I have heard (from the electric company) that the previous owners had one. I will investigate further to see which circuit it is on, the electrical box in the basement is pretty well labelled so it should be easy. In the meantime does anyone know if we would be talking about an adaptor or something more involved? The light and filter will be 110 fixtures I'm sure, don't yet know what type of plug...

Old 06-12-07, 12:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With a 20A 125V circuit, you only need to replace the twistlock receptacle with a 20A GFCI receptacle. Connect the incoming power feed to the LINE terminals on the GFCI and install an appropriate weatherproof cover.

If you already have a GFCI breaker on the circuit (which should have been used with a spa), the GFCI receptacle is not required. A standard 20A receptacle with appropriate cover will suffice.

Old 06-12-07, 12:36 PM
You will not use an adapter. You will replace the receptacle with a normal 15 or 20 amp duplex receptacle into which you will plug your items.