Brand Names

Old 06-12-07, 01:15 PM
JOB
Brand Names

Hello, I am going to be purchasing a sub panel to run off my 200 amp Cutler Hammer main panel (uses type "CH" circuit breakers).

I was looking to get a Cutler Hammer sub panel so the circuit breakers would be interchangeable.

The cost of a Cutler Hammer sub panel at the local electricial supplier is signifgantly more than a Homeline at Home Depot.

Is there anything inherently wrong with a HomeLine versus a Cutler Hammer ? There both UL approved, correct ?

Any input would be appreciated

Thank You
JOB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-07, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> Is there anything inherently wrong with a HomeLine versus a
> Cutler Hammer?

No, but there is a difference in overall quality and construction. You can think of the CH line as "commercial grade" and the Homeline as, well, "home grade". I believe the CH panels use copper buses and the homeline use aluminum which is cheaper, but more susceptible to corrosion. The CH is made from heavier gauge steel and uses tapped machine screws; the homeline uses thinner steel and sheet metal screws. And so on in term of general quality.

You'll see similar differences between all the top tier lines (SquareD Q0, Cutler CH, Siemens QF) and the lower tier lines (Homeline, Cutler BR, Murray).

> There both UL approved, correct ?

Yes.

Old 06-12-07, 04:33 PM
What he said. Not a good idea to go for the stripped down model when dealing with electricity, IMHO. I always recommend the copper buss version of SqD and Cutler-Hammer.