Existing electrical issues

Old 06-12-07, 09:41 PM
Existing electrical issues

Hi everyone. I have a few electrical issues I need to correct in a triplex I own. I have to 3 light fixtures hooked up with wire run along the wall. I also have a water heater hooked up with straight wire (no conduit). And last there is an out door light fixture with the wire run along the wall. I was wondering if I could just run the wire in conduit along the wall to the fixtures rather than trying to put it in the walls. (lap and plaster) Can anyone recommend a good conduit for the job? Should I go flex inside and pvc outside? Is it ok for electrical conduit to be run along the bottom of walls on the floor? Is that considered altering existing wire installations? Should I get a permit for the job? Any advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-07, 05:09 AM
Any wire not in a wall cavity must be protected, and in some areas, even that must be protected(BX). It sounds like you have some changes to make. You must get a permit, it is for the protection of yourself and your tenants.
In many areas, live-in homeowners are allowed to do their own electrical work(permit still required). But I am not sure an apartment bldg. qualifies. Check with local authorities.

Old 06-13-07, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> I also have a water heater hooked up with straight wire (no conduit).

Typically, you'd use flexible metal conduit (FMC) or a metallic cable whip for this.

> run the wire in conduit along the wall to the fixtures rather than trying
> to put it in the walls.

Yes, you can run conduit along the exterior of a building. You'll need to use waterproof wiring inside the conduit which will either be UF-B cable or THWN individual conductors. I recommend the later. Of course you'll need waterproof boxes too.

> Can anyone recommend a good conduit for the job?

Schedule 40 PVC or painted EMT.

> Is it ok for electrical conduit to be run along the bottom of walls
> on the floor?

I've never seen conduit installed on the floor. In addition to looking terrible, I suspect it would be considered a tripping hazard (fire escape code). For interior surface mount raceway, use wiremold conduit along the wall.

http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer/products/metal_raceway/index.asp

> Is that considered altering existing wire installations? Should I get a
> permit for the job?

Yes and yes.

> Any advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

In many jurisdictions only licensed electricians can do work on rental property in which the owner does not live. Check with your local building authority.

Old 06-13-07, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your reply Ben.

Good information.