electrical question

Old 06-18-07, 12:14 PM
Exclamation electrical question

we live in a manufactured home.1990
last night I was doing laundry and my washer stopped working in the rinse cycle. I pushed the button in and back out and when i turned it back on my microwave started beeping yet it showed that it wasnt on. i opened the refridgerator and we lost power in the fridge. but when i would turn the washer off the microwave would turn back on and the fridge light would come on but not to its fullest. I checked the breaker box and nothing had tripped. when we woke up this morning, the fridge was on and working fine i was able to finish my laundry in the rinse cycle. then all of a sudden around 1 the same thing happened again. we have power everywhere else, but along the wall in the kitchen seems to be the problem, the washer appears to be in the same breaker with the wall in the kitchen. because the sticker says wash/kitch what is going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-07, 12:23 PM
What the sticker in the panel says is of little value. You SHOULD have completely mapped out your electrical system when you moved in. Everyone needs to do that.

You have a loose connection. I recommend that you NOT use the refrigerator, thew washer and anything else on this circuit until you find the problem,. You are risking damaging this equipment.

You need to open each and every junction box on the circuit and (not just the ones for the washer and refrigerator, but ALL of them) and look for a loose wire.

Old 06-18-07, 12:27 PM
we have already figured what goes on which breaker which is how we figured they are all on the same line.
we dont really want to mess with anything ourselves since it is electrical. we werent sure if it would be better to just call a professional.

Old 06-18-07, 12:32 PM
Your choices are do it yourself, or call someone to do it.

Old 06-18-07, 09:40 PM
thanks for your help
i called a local electric company and they came right out, he changed a couple wires in less then 10 mins. didnt even charge us anything.

Old 06-19-07, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
You need to open each and every junction box on the circuit and (not just the ones for the washer and refrigerator, but ALL of them) and look for a loose wire.
One thing to keep in mind with advise to those with manufactured homes is that there often is no junction box. Often receptacles in manufactured homes are self contained wall receptacles, where the receptacle is crimped over the romex. See http://www.passandseymour.com/literature/pdf/35716_SCD_Bro_frame.pdf

This is even true in new manufactured housing used for commercial purposes (I have seen it first hand in a new single-wide built for our bank and a temporary branch...and I was at the facility that built the unit when I saw it).

I'm glad the OP got the problem resolved though I am curious what the electrician did.