Here'sa tough one

Old 06-19-07, 09:18 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Here'sa tough one

I'm pretty sharp for a do it yourselfer and I don't get stumped very often, but last night I plugged in a faulty electrical appliance. I saw the lights slightly surge and the outlet went dead. Popped the breaker and they were still dead. But when I plugged in the little yellow wiring tester the outlet read "hot-neurtal reversed" I've changed two of the outlets thinking the outlet which are wired in series and still nothing. I'm thinking that somewhere in the wall my neutral or hot wire got hot and is grounding out on a ground somewhere? any takers this is where the boys get separated from the electrical contractors. FYI the outlets worked fine and the house is 50 years old. Thanks

Old 06-19-07, 09:21 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have an open neutral.

Somewhere on the circuit the neutral wire has become disconnected. The most likely problem is a failed back stab. Check every receptacle and other junction box on the circuit. Check locations that are working and those that are not working. As you are checking, move any back stabbed connections to the screw terminals.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: