Light switches sharing box and breaker -- question

Old 06-19-07, 01:52 PM
Light switches sharing box and breaker -- question

Hi, I'm remodeling (or modeling?) my basement. I have 2 banks of lights that will be on 2 separate switches. They are wired with 14-2, and I'd like to have one source wire coming from the breaker box to the switches. (lights are at the end of the line).

So, I figure if I pigtail the black from the source with 2 blacks and attach one to each switch, then the other screws on the switches would connect to their respective blacks.

Do I pigtail the white from the source into 2, and then connect one white to each white on the respective "out" wires? Or can I bundle them together into one?

The only reason I ask is that they are Lutron dimmers and there isn't much room in the box!

Thanks for your help,

Gina

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-07, 01:52 PM
Just put all three neutral wires in a single wire nut.

Put all three ground wires in a single wire nut as well, with pigtails to the dimmers and to the box if it is metal. You may need two wire nuts for this, with a pigtail between them.

Be careful that you do not exceed the rating if the dimmers, adjusted for having two in the same box.

Old 06-19-07, 02:23 PM
thank you, I just wanted to make sure.

I don't understand what you mean about the rating of the dimmers sharing the same box. Please explain - do the dimmers get hot? I'm using hard gray plastic boxes.

Old 06-19-07, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, dimmers get hot. When you have two dimmers in the same box, you need to derate the dimmers. For example, a 600W dimmer derates to 400W or 500W when used in the same box as another dimmer. Check the manufacturer's instructions in the dimmer package.