220 extension cord

Old 06-19-07, 09:59 PM
Unhappy 220 extension cord

Hello, I recently purchased a plasma cutter and a new generator to power it. I need an extension cord for it, and tried wiring one up but it doesn't seem to work. I'm using 25 ft of cable with 3 wires (black, green, white). The generator uses a 4 prong plug. So I wired it up as follows - Green = G , Black = Y , White = X. I left the W empty. My co-worker says it should work, but he doesn't really know. Does anyone know how I need to wire this cable to work with a 4 prong plug???

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 04:23 AM
Use your meter and see if you get 240 volts at the end of your extension cord at roper terminals.

Old 06-20-07, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
If the plasma cutter has4 wires then it may be 240/120 v. What does the name plate say? It is single phase isn't it?

Old 06-20-07, 08:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the generator powerful enough to handle the plasma cutter? What is the capacity of each?

Old 06-20-07, 10:46 AM
Is this a large welding machine/generator? Usually, these large 4-prong receptacles are a NEMA 14-50R. Which plasma cutter do you have? Why do we have to guess at your equipment to answer your questions? If it's a large plasma cutter, it likely has (or can use) a NEMA 6-50P plug, but could also be a small as a NEMA 6-20P.

Either way, you will use just the two hots and the ground out of the four prongs on the generator. You will not use the neutral and do not even need to install that pin when you make the plug for your adapter.

Tell us more, and we can give you the exact procedure for making the adapter.

Last edited by mattison; 06-20-07 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Sorry but links to outside forums are not allowed.
Old 06-20-07, 10:44 PM
Yes, the plasma is a single phase. It only has 3 wires coming out of it. I still have to wire the plug onto it. But I'm waiting until I can at least get the extension cord all sorted out.

The generator is just a small Coleman that puts out 6875W max. I believe it should handle the task because the plasma only pulls 22 amps on 220.

The plugs I'm using are the L14-20 type since that's what fits the generator.

The actual generator is the Coleman 6875. The actual plasma cutter is this one on Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=140121550938

Old 06-21-07, 10:55 AM
Next time, just say it's a Parker 40A plasma cutter; don't make me cut-and-paste a URL that doesn't give real technical specifications anyway. Is that 22A draw at "rated output" or at maximum output? What is the "rated output" and what is the duty cycle at the "rated output"?

Based on certainly having a small duty cycle, you're fine with the L14-20 plug, you just won't have a wire on the silver screw/prong. Two hots on the gold screws/prongs, and a ground.

Will you also be powering the cutter at home/work, or just from the genny?

Old 06-21-07, 10:59 AM
As an aside, I would have made an extension cord containing all FOUR wires, as this would be general purpose. You are going to have a three wire cord with four pin connectors, which may confuse you or someone else later on.

Old 06-21-07, 11:07 AM
I totally agree. I was thinking of the plug on the end of the machine. If this is going to be a long extension, you might be better off with a short 1-foot long adapter to a three wire connector and THEN use a three-wire extension cord and a three-prong plug on the plasma cutter.

Old 06-22-07, 09:54 PM
Ok, I went ahead and bought some 12/4. Wired it up and it worked no problem. Then I wired up the 3 wire plasma to a 4 prong plug the same way I wired up my first extension cord. I been done cut the motor mounts off the frame today. I still don't know why the initial cord didn't work though.

Thanks for the help, guys