Line voltage dehumidistat....

Old 06-20-07, 05:58 AM
Line voltage dehumidistat....

I have a Santa Fe dehumidifier and have purchased the "remote controller" (a Honeywell H46C dehumidistat). The controller is line voltage, but since the dehumidifier has wheels, whats the best way to securely wire the controller in? I have done plenty of wiring, this is just odd to me because of the fact that I need to run a 120V line to a movable object.

Do I need to secure the dehum to a wall to make sure it doesnt move? Wouldnt want a wire with line voltage coming loose if the dehum got moved by accident.

Also, since the wiring area is in the bottom half of the dehum (pretty close to the ground), would metal shielded cable be required? I couldnt see running Romex that close to the ground, seems like a safety hazard.

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wire the humidistat to control a simplex receptacle. Fashion an appropriate appliance cord and plug for the dehumidifer and plug it into the controlled receptacle.

> Do I need to secure the dehum to a wall to make sure it doesnt move?

That would work too -- or just remove the wheels and set it on the floor.

> would metal shielded cable be required?

If the dehumidifier is fixed in place by removing the wheels or bolting it to the wall, etc, I would use a flexible metal cable whip to connect it. If you opt for the receptacle and cord method, use a hefty appliance cord such as type SJEO.

> I couldnt see running Romex that close to the ground, seems
> like a safety hazard.

In either case, Romex (type NM-B) would be inappropriate.

Old 06-20-07, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I guess I just had a brain lapse or something, for some reason I was thinking I had to run directly from the humidistat to the dehum, instead of just wiring a receptacle and plugging the dehum in.

Thanks again.

-Chris