Short to ground

Old 06-21-07, 01:17 PM
Unhappy Short to ground

I popped a fuse this morning. I had unplugged the air conditioner and Tv that were plugged in before I attempted to replace the fuse. I was replacing the fuse and as I was screwing it in, the fuse popped again. How would I go about finding the short?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-07, 02:11 PM
How fo you know it's a short?

Start by unplugging everything and turning off all fixed lights and appliances. If it still pops then you have to start disconnecting portions of the circuit and reconnecting them until you find the problem

Old 06-21-07, 02:33 PM
Unhappy short to ground

I had everything disconnected when I started to install the replacement fuse.... so I assumed. Since posting this I have disconnected each plug and switch from the circuit and disconnected one wire from each receptacle. All of them read open (no reading at all) on the multimeter except one has 15 Ohms. I have started to trace it through the attic but have no clue where it goes.

Am I on the right track??????????

Old 06-21-07, 04:00 PM
Question short to ground

Can a fuse box short out? I traced the wire back to a junction box that split the circuit. All of the lines read open except the pair going back to the fuse box. The circuit breaker is removed but I still have continuity.

Old 06-21-07, 04:42 PM
The first place I would look is the outlets you were unplugging from.

Old 06-21-07, 08:38 PM
Forget continuity. That test is meaningless unless you are absolutely sure of the wiring.

Add receptacles back one at a time until you either have them all added back and no more blown fuses, or until you find the section where the fuse is blown.

Forget trying to follow the cables in the attic. Just work with receptacles and other boxes on the circuit