Dumb question....

Old 06-21-07, 04:50 PM
Dumb question....

Please forgive me for asking such a stupid question....

I was cleaning out the shrubs around the front of my house and found a metal conduit that leads to a narrow metal junction box that then feeds back into the house. I have not removed the cover nor delved any deeper, but I'm wondering if the purpose of this is to allow for an outside fixture? If not, why is this here?

Thanks, and once again, please forgive my newbie question.

L

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-07, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
I'd carefully take the cover off to see if their are wires inside. No wires just file under unsolved mysteries. Have you traced where the conduit goes? Is there an outside post light or do any of the tree have lights are show evidence of once having lights?

Old 06-21-07, 05:06 PM
I suspect what you call a "narrow metal junction box" is a LB conduit body. It could be for any one of a number of things.

It could be where the telephone or cable TV wires enter the house.

It could be supplying power to an outbuilding or garage.

It could be for a yard light or landscape lighting.

It could be for power to a garden pond or water feature pump.

It could have been for any one of the above and abandoned prior to your purchasing the home.

Old 06-21-07, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...
I do have a front lamp post that this might feed into...I'll do some more investigation to see if this is the case. It is electrical, as the face plate states as much (although it is worn).

So, next stupid question...if this is in fact leading to the lamp post, and if the circuit itself is not close to maxing out the 12 A that's rec'd for a 15 A circuit, is there any reason I couldn't use this to add an outdoor receptacle? I will do my research to find out what all is also drawing off this circuit. I also understand that without this information, you can not advise whether or not I can proceed...but if all is in order, does code allow me to add an outlet?

Once again, not saying I will do so, just curious.

Thanks,
L

Old 06-21-07, 08:40 PM
If this box is live and does feed the post light, then you can probably add a receptacle here.

Forget the 12 amps on a 15 amp circuit. You are not understanding the code properly. With a general purpose circuit you can safely pull 15 amps through the circuit as long as the use is not continuous.

Old 06-24-07, 04:17 AM
dumb question

still waiting for the dumb question