converting 220v to 110v

Old 06-24-07, 11:23 AM
converting 220v to 110v

Sorry if you guys have answered this but I havent been able to find anything on it. I currently have a 4 wire (black, red, white, and bare ground) (220v) hooked up to an outlet out in the shed. It is currently hooked up to a double 30a single throw breaker in the main panel. The rest of the shed is wired for 110 but everything is dead. The 220 is live though. What I'm wanting to know is there a way I can hook up the 3 wire for 110 right of the 220 recept? Or am I going to have to put in a sub panel? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-07, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It depends on what type breaker box (panel) this breaker is housed in. Are there any more spaces below it? There is a possibility you can change the 30 amp double breaker for two 20 amp breakers, thereby giving you 120v you need. Here, again, we don't know what type box you have and how the primary wiring is attached. Fill us in and we can tell you more.
Also, what size wire is leading into the box, supplying the power.

Old 06-24-07, 07:43 PM
You say the 120V outlets are "dead". Did they ever work? If so, what has changed?

If they never worked (as in, brand new), and you're planning on using this 240V/30A circuit to supply your new 120V outlets, then you will need a panel. Then the 120V receptacles will be supplied by 15A or 20A breakers in this panel, according to the wire size the 120V receptacles are wired to.

(Basically, the wiring to the 120V receptacles is probably not good enough for 30 amps. )