Maximum continuous load question.

Old 06-24-07, 12:36 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Maximum continuous load question.

I was using the free electrician load calculator at electrician2.com and I entered all my info for a 100 amp panel and it's coming up with a figure or 56 to 72 amps (depending on the guage of wire I use) for the "Maximum Continuous Load". Does this mean that with a 100 amp box I can only draw 56 to 72 amps? If so, how can I draw the full 100 amps from the box? This is confusing. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-07, 12:44 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
continous load is considered, by the NEC to be a load that operates for 3 hours or more at a time.

Breakers are designed to operate up tp 80% of nameplate under a continous load situation and up to nameplate rating for intermittant loads.

They will also not trip up to around 4-500% for a very brief time to allow for motor load starts.

Your allowable load is determined by the lowest rated part of the circuit. If you have wire rated for 100 amps, and you have a 50 amp breaker, you are only good for 50 amps (40 continous).

If you have 100 amp rated wire and a 100 amp breaker (in a panel that is rated at minimum 100 amps, of course), you have 100 interminttant and 80 amps continuous avaiable.

What are you connecting you need 100 amps continouous?

Old 06-24-07, 12:48 PM
B
I am putting in outdoor lighting for a large space with 2 courts, and there is going to be all the electrical for a pool and spa (including heaters) all running on the same box.

Old 06-24-07, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just off the cuff, if this is a typical package spa there is no way you'll be able to run all that off a 100A service.

Old 06-24-07, 01:31 PM
B
Even at 240v??????????????????????

Old 06-24-07, 02:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Bestbowl sounds like your doing a commercial job and based on your questions here and two other threads are in way over your head. If you are not licensed step away from the hot tub and don't touch it. From legal and liability standpoints you shouldn't touch it. It was scary enough reading your other post thinking the safety of your house was in your hands but unsuspecting public too?

P.S. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Peoples lives could depend on what you do. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Last edited by Forum Monitor; 06-25-07 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Unwarranted Comments and Remarks Removed
Old 06-24-07, 02:39 PM
B
xxxxxxxxxxxx And I am just making the subpanel for the job, that's it, the rest will be done and inspected by a licenced electrical contractor.
Thanks for the advice though, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...

Last edited by Forum Monitor; 06-25-07 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Derogatory comments and remarks removed.
Old 06-24-07, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The job you are doing is not "basic". When it comes to pools/spas, there is specific codes and procedures that must be met.

Who is going to sign off on the work?

Old 06-24-07, 02:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you are doing this for a licensed electrical contractor then the questions need to be asked of the licensed electrical contractor who you are making this for. Only he knows what he wants. Not trying to get on your case but your questions certainly raise warning flags.

Old 06-24-07, 02:56 PM
B
I am just putting in the subpanel, that's it. The contractor will inspect the and do the rest of the job.

Old 06-24-07, 03:47 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
then ask the contractor what he wants/needs.

You are beyond your understanding of the situation and if you are a lucky person, things will work. If you aren;t everything you are going to do is for naught. (as in waste of money).

all the questions you posed begs the question: what is the capacity of the main service? You can put as large of sub as you want but if the main can;t handle it, you will simply trip out the main.

Old 06-24-07, 07:34 PM
Bestbowl, what type of conduit are you using for the pool/spa panel?

What type and size of conductors, for each conductor?

What is the calculated load?

These are critical questions you should have answers for.

This is not child's play. I've just looked over your posts, and you have a real half-hearted attitude about electricity that is going to get you or someone else killed. Pools and hot tubs kill people regularly when mis-installed, and your "hey, it was a simple question" routine is going to sound really hollow over someone's grave.

So, do you intend to take this seriously?

Old 06-24-07, 10:38 PM
F
I am going to agree with others what they are try to expain to you about the spa/hot tub set up.

The second thing it did raise red flag is you are talking about the light up the court. I just hope you relized this can get out of your hand very fast with this one [ belive me i done alot of commercal/ industrail work with lighting system so i know the code and few other regualations as well ]

for the court lumiaire [ light fixure ] which type you want you will use for short time or use all the time ??

the short time genrally used the Quatz lumiaire [ energy hog ] they useally come in 300, 500, 1000, 1250 and 1500 [ the latter 3 required 208-240 volts to run it ]

or can use the Metal Halide floodlight they will kick alot of light per wattage but before you get into this I REALLY recomond that the layout and number of the pole is very strict and it have to follow per manufacter spec and for post base this will have the engineer to check out the type of soil and wind load on the lumiaire this have to be approved by inspector before it can actally get this started

the last job with 2 court [ tennis ball court size ] i used 6 poles and 6- 400 watt MH and the total cost is not cheap i just cant tell you the excat price because i do not know where ya from

for the exsting electrical service as one person did tell ya 100 amp will NOT cut in for spa/hot tub and the lumiaires around the area. you will need min of 200 amp service to get it by. no if but or cowcrap

the last thing is get the electrician to come out and do the set up for you this is not a matter you can take in your hand

the codes is very strict and well outlined with this one so please do yourself a favor just back off and get electrician and they can do the proper way to hook up in safe manner.

Merci, Marc