Two prong outlets

Old 06-24-07, 01:04 PM
Two prong outlets

My son just moved into a new apartment. It only has two prong outlets. I checked and there is no ground wire coming into the connection box and the connection box does not have any wire attached to it. I bought the 3 prong adapters and there is a hole for a screw. Does it really make any difference if the plate screw is connected to this? Is there something else you are supposed to attached to the 3 prong adapter?

The refrigerator just uses a 3 prong adapter and nothing is else is connected to the adapter.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-07, 02:26 PM
College apartment? Been there, done that! ;^)

The theory behind these adaptors is that the metal outlet box itself is grounded. The plate screw is "supposedly" electrically continuous to the outlet box, through the receptical mounting strap. If, and this is a BIG if, the box IS grounded, and you install the adaptor correctly (installing plate screw through the tab), you should end up with a grounded outlet.
Pick up an inexpensive three-light outlet tester. These testers will indicate several conditions, such as hot/ground reversed, open hot, open neutral, open ground (the condition you are testing for), reversed polarity, and correct wiring. Install the adaptor, plug the tester into it, and see what the lights indicate. You will then know if this solution will work or not in your case.

Fortunately, most appliances & electronic gear have two-prong plugs, so hopefully you won't need more than a couple.
Good luck!

Old 06-24-07, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the box IS grounded, then he could just install some typical 3 prong receptacles and not need the adaptor.

Old 06-24-07, 05:04 PM
If he is renting the apartment, he shouldn't be doing any electrical work. Otherwise, I agree.

Old 06-24-07, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ah! Yes! I didn't see that. Do not replace receptacle. I wouldn't even open it up without the concent of the landlord.

Old 06-24-07, 08:19 PM
If there is no ground to the receptacles, then this was a bad choice in apartments.

Old 06-25-07, 07:16 AM
Unfortunetely the metal box is not grounded, so I guess we are just stuck with it. His computer, TV and the existing refrig have 3 prong plugs.

Old 06-25-07, 07:34 AM
I highly recommend that he buy good quality UPS devices (ones that are unfortunately expensive and do NOT require a ground) and that he only use those devices to plug in his electronic equipment.