Fishing Wire?

Old 06-25-07, 08:46 PM
Fishing Wire?

I am in the process of adding a few circuits to my basement and I have a few questions about fishing wire through ½ EMT.

1) What’s the best method for pulling six total 12 awg wires in the conduit? (Half and Half – pull 3 cables then pull 3 more?)

2) Where should I start with the fish tape – Inside the circuit breaker pulling the wire from the destination into the panel box or should I start at the desitnation and pull the wires from the circuit panel to the destination.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-07, 08:53 PM
Pull all the wires at the same time. Do not use a conductive fish tape in a live panel. Assuming you should be doing this work in a live panel at all, use a nylon fish tape.

What are the six wires? Remember you only need one ground wire if these are two 3-wire grounded circuits.

Stripping the wires before bending them over into the fish tape head will help make the head smaller and easier to pull. Wrap the entire head in electrical tape in a way that will also allow you to pull it back out without snagging, in case something gets stuck.

Where to start depends on many factors. Ease of setting up the wire in a particular location, and the best leverage for pulling the tape are two of the big ones.

Old 06-25-07, 09:38 PM
how long is the run, is it feasable to just push the wire, a bundle that big should be stiff enough to push 100 ft or so

Old 06-25-07, 10:30 PM
Excellent point. Especially with solid wire, I usually push it right through unless it's really long or just has too many bends.

Old 06-26-07, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also, it's best to pull wire directly off the spools so that the wires don't have a curl/twist to them which causes bunching and binding.

Old 06-26-07, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this conduit empty or are there wires currently installed? If there are wires already, how many and what size are they?

Old 06-26-07, 08:53 PM
The conduit is empty

It's about 30 feet with three 90 degree bends.

That's a great idea about pushing all of the cables together at once. I didn't even think about that -- nice call