should my gas line be grounded?

Old 07-23-07, 04:41 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
should my gas line be grounded?

recently had furnace and ducting work done, one aspect of the job was to rework the incoming natural gas lines. The old 3/4 pipe and a second 1/2" flex pipe were replaced with a single 1" pipe, which all seems the right way to go. In doing so, the gas pipe was relocated slightly, and the copper grounding wires that connected the plumbing (copper) pipes to the nat. gas pipes (iron) are now too short too reach and were left off. I'm guessing I should get a longer piece of wire and fix this, but I was wondering if the furnace guys should have done this, or does this fall into a "not their dept" item?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Old 07-23-07, 05:17 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Technically, that wire is a bond and not a ground. Yes, you should get a longer piece of the same size wire and replace it. You should also bond the sheet metal ductwork.

Old 07-23-07, 05:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That wire is basically not needed. The circuit that feeds the furnace is bonding the gas piping.
It's in the code book.

The only time you need to intentionally bond the gas piping is when all the gas is feeding is non-electric appliances such as a water heater.

Old 07-25-07, 09:54 AM
N
one yeah, one nay, someone want to be tiebreaker?

I suppose it can't hurt to add the bonding cable (if that is the right term), or is there a problem with multiple ground paths that might make a redundant ground counter-productive?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: