Going tandem?

Old 06-26-07, 08:00 PM
Going tandem?

First and foremost, I'm in Canada...Ontario to be exact....

I've got a 100A service panel with only 16 spots (that includes a dual pole for A/C and a linked pair of 15A breakers that are for the kitchen) as well as two tandem breakers in this panel.

I remodelled my basement and have since added 8 more circuits (after changing some wiring around while remodelling I'm down to 4 circuits that have not been wired to the panel)....it's a lot but I anticipated upgrading my service panel to accomodate 40 spaces (or was it 32...can't remember!)

Anyways, I'm just trying to clarify a few things on these tandem breakers:
1.) Are they allowed?
and if so then
2.) Is there a limit to how many you can put in?

I've chatted with a few electricians that have passed through where I work and they don't recall anything being wrong with it and don't see why I can't add a few more tandems but when I had my house inspection done before I purchased the house the inspector made a point to say that they shouldn't be in there (can't remember specifically if he said not recommended, not code or whatever).

If I can use'em then great....saves me money on a new panel....if not, then I know I still need a new panel. Obviously, not spending extra cash would be nice!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-07, 08:30 PM
Whether or not you can use tandem breakers depends on the make and model of the panel, and whether they are allowed for it.

Old 06-26-07, 09:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
From what I know, in Canada there is no 42 circuit limit in a panel like we have.

As Racraft said, as long as the panel accepts them you should be fine.

Old 06-27-07, 04:19 AM
The panel accepts 'em...already has two in it...Square D panel...just didn't know if there was a limit as to how many you could put in the panel.

I've got 2 in there now and my total will probably end up to be 5.

And like I said, the home inspector really seemed to frown upon it when I bought the house.

Old 06-27-07, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
H-I's frown on a LOT of stuff that is perfectly acceptable.

Old 06-27-07, 06:45 AM
Works for me if it's perfectly acceptable!

Saves me a bunch of cash....the box...the electrician...permit/inspection plus any costs of bringing anything up to code....etc...all back in my pocket!

I figured you could use 'em...I mean they sell 'em at Home Depot/Rona here in Ontario so I don't see why you couldn't use 'em.

Better safe to ask then be sorry!