Splicing 10/3 for dryer

Old 06-27-07, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splicing 10/3 for dryer

I'm moving my dryer outlet about 2' from a side wall (from a closet wall which is going away, to back behind the dryer.) Needless to say the wire is not long enough and I need to splice about 5' more of 10/3 onto it to get it to reach the new box location. Of course I'd rather not run a completely new wire if it's not necessary, especially since it's about 60' worth of run going through my less than pleasant crawlspace.

Would there be any problems with adding a junction box and splicing? I did not see this specific issue addressed in the NEC (which doesn't mean it's not there somewhere!)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-07, 06:28 AM
As long as the existing wire is 10-3 with a ground, and as long as you add 10-3 with a ground, and as long as the junction box remains permanently accessible (ie not buried inside a wall) then you are okay.

Old 06-27-07, 06:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No problem with the splice in the junction box, but the cover must remain exposed and accessible, so prepare for that. You can't hide it.

Old 06-27-07, 08:30 AM
No probs. I know about the access thing. There's not enough extra wire to put the junction box above the floor so it will have to go in the crawlspace (ugh) attached to the band joist.

Oh, just a little tidbit. I've verified that it actually is 10/3, but the dryer plug is 10/2 (just pulled it to check.) Go figger. I assume the electrician cut the red or white wire back and just installed the three prong plug to match what the previous HO had. Unfortunately this means he probably also cut it back at the panel I suspect. If he didn't, or if I can somehow get another foot out of the thing at the panel if necessary, I'll upgrade to the current 4 prong standard. *sigh* It's never easy. I may end up running that wire anyway *grumble*grumble*.

It sure would make life simpler if people would do things like they're supposed to!

Old 06-27-07, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Even if the wire is cut back instead of capped off, you can just add another junction box at the panel side of the 10/3 cable and replace a few feet going into the panel so you'll have all four wires intact from the panel to the new 4 prong receptacle. Remember when you change the cord on the dryer from 3-prong to 4-prong to unhook the bonding strap per the manufacturer's instructions.

Old 06-27-07, 09:11 AM
Thanks. I just hate putting in all the splices, it's just not as neat a job as having the one straight run.

Also thank you for the reminder about the bonding strap. I would PROBABLY notice it and remember about disconnectin it when replacing the plug but when working with electricity PROBABLY is not the best thing :-).