Code for laundry room outlets.

Old 06-28-07, 05:53 AM

We have a house in South Carolina that was built in the late 30's and all of the electrical outlets are located on the base boards, and the laundry room is in the basement. What we want to do is move the laundry room to the main floor. My questions are:
1. Is their a code on where the outlets are suppose to be in the laundry room? For example, are the outlet suppose to be a certain distance up from the floor?
2. Does the code allow the dryer outlet to be placed on the base board?
Thanks for the response.

Hectic

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-07, 06:11 AM
Code does not address where receptacles need to be in a laundry room. They can be in the baseboard, although that does not make much sense. I think it makes sense for them to be at a height that puts them above the washer and dryer, so that you can easily plug them in and unplug them without moving the appliance.

Code does stipulate a 20 amp circuit, for receptacles in the laundry only.

Your new line for an electric dryer must be four wire, even if your old line was only three wire.

Old 06-28-07, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply and help. I do have a 20 amp circuit in the laundry room, and am planning on a 4 wire connector for the dryer. Hectic

Old 06-28-07, 01:31 PM
Just be sure that that 20-amp circuit serves nothing except laundry room receptacles. No lighting and no receptacles outside the laundry room.

Old 06-28-07, 06:04 PM
...and doesn't the receps need to be GFCI if they are within 6ft of a water source?

Old 06-28-07, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not for laundry rooms that are not on a bathroom circuit.

From NEC:

Section 210.8(A)(5) does not apply to finished areas in basements, such as sleeping rooms or family rooms, and GFCI protection of receptacles in those areas is not required. In addition, freezer and laundry receptacles do not require GFCI protection, in accordance with 210.8(A)(5), Exception No. 2.

Old 06-28-07, 06:38 PM
You may be referencing older code requirements as you do indeed need gfci protection for receptacles in the laundry room within 6 feet of laundry sinks.

Article 210.8(A)(7), GFIC Protection – Dwelling Units, was changed to include GFCI protection for all 120 volt receptacles located an arc measurement of 6 ft. from the dwelling unit laundry, utility and wet bar sink. The paragraph added guidelines further defining the method of measurement and the description of locations where GFCI protection is required within the dwelling. Previously, this section covered GFCI protection for 15- and 20-amp receptacles serving wet bar countertops within the six ft. arc. Now it has been expanded to include 15- and 20-amp, 125-volt receptacles within 6 ft. of the outside edge of the dwelling unit laundry sinks, utility sinks and wet bar sinks at any height. The reference to the countertop was dropped. In short, this means any receptacle within 6 ft. of these sinks located from the floor to 6 ft. above the sink must be GFCI protected.

Go here this is a good read for gfci requirements

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_branch_circuits_part_2

"Not for laundry rooms that are not on a bathroom circuit"

I'm not sure where your getting this but laundries cannot be on bathroom circuits, unless your referring to installations in older homes before code addressed the changes to bathroom circuits.

Roger

Old 06-28-07, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OP didn't mention this circuit being near a sink.

Old 06-28-07, 07:04 PM
Sorry my mistake I thought you were responding to Johnny2050's question. I see now you were saying that in this situation there is no sink.

Roger

Old 06-29-07, 06:53 AM
It's a common misconception that the code requires GFCI near all water sources. There is no such generalization in the code. The code pretty much contains a specific list of all the places where GFCI is required. That list does include many places close to water sources (and also many places NOT close to water sources), but conspicuously absent are specific appliances that use water such as washing machines, garbage disposals and dishwashers.