Adding circuit

Old 06-28-07, 09:04 AM
mil
Adding circuit

My breaker panel has three open spots for new breakers. The left side has one more breaker than the right. That last breaker on the left side has a flat copper piece sticking out toward the right side where the next breaker on the right would go. I am not sure what the purpose of it is and if I add two more breakers do I need one for the new odd breaker on the right side. It appears that all the breakers have this piece of copper between them. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-07, 09:09 AM
You can add the new breaker on either side. I do not know what you are talking about with the "piece of copper." Are you referring to the buss bars that carry the current?

Old 06-28-07, 09:10 AM
Left side vs. right side is immaterial. Put the new breakers wherever you want.

I'm not sure what your "flat copper piece" is. Can you provide a picture?

Old 06-28-07, 06:12 PM
mil
Thumbs up adding a circuit

I took a picture and now I don't know how to add it to my post, but I will figure that out later. Yes I think it is the hot buss bar. I gather if I need to add a 240 circuit I will have to double up on one of the other circuits so as to have 2 buss bars available for my 240 circuit. The guy a Lowes did not even mention an ITE panel, but is seems that it will take siemens circuit breakers. Wee we're cooking now ( not literally I hope). Thanks for your help.

Old 06-28-07, 07:13 PM
To post a pic you can use photobucket or something of the sort and paste the link to your pic.

If you need to add a 240v circuit you will need a double pole breaker.