Outlet placement

Old 06-29-07, 04:16 PM
Outlet placement

I know that code states that any wall over 2' requires an outlet. I have a room that just over two feet in either direction from the corner there is a door. If I understand this correctly, do I need to put an outlet on each of these walls even though one could supply this corner? Thanks in advance... Andrew

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-07, 04:42 PM
You can't stretch a cord across the door to meet the requirements.
Don't forget wall continue around corners. You could mount a receptacle 4 feet around the corner and still meet the requirement. The two foot wall requirement is is the wall ends for example two doors in a room or a door fireplace or a built in cabinet and a door.

Old 06-29-07, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. You answered my question but to clarify my situation a little better, to the left of the entry door walking into ths bedroom is 28" to the corner. According to code, I need an outlet on this wall. Then the opposing wall is 28" unitl it reaches the closet door leaving me with two 28" walls touching eachother. So one outlet should then cover this eintire corner according to how I read this.

Old 06-29-07, 05:19 PM
I didn't quite picture that, but if the wall is continuous around the corner, you only need the one receptacle until you hit the next length that requires one.

If it's two feet on either side of a door, they each need one, even if it winds up being directly behind the door when it's open.

Old 06-29-07, 06:08 PM
It is continuous around a corner equaling 56" between doors. Thanks for clarifying that and for the quick responses, I am setting my boxes while checking this posting.