Q: Grounding home alarm system through light switch

Old 06-30-07, 07:40 AM
Question Q: Grounding home alarm system through light switch

Hi Folks,

I have no electrical experience so I'm trying to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Any help would be most appreciated.

I am trying to install a home alarm system. It has three power-related wire connections on it - two AC and one ground.

Right beside the installation location, there is a light switch. I am considering running a ground wire from the alarm system to the nearby light switch box's ground screw (on the metal box? or whatever the light switch's ground wire is connected to?).

I hope this will save me from having to run the ground wire a long distance behind walls.

Is this a good/suggested thing to do?

Is it ok to have the light switch and alarm system grounds connected together?

Does it matter if the AC power lines are going to another outlet in the room and the ground is going to the light switch?

/J

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 09:05 AM
Sounds like it just needs standard power. Run a new feed for it from either the panel or a suitable circuiut. However, why didn't you take the ground from where you got the black and white? You cant just take a wire from here and one from there .

Old 06-30-07, 09:34 AM
Take the ground from the same location as the power.

Old 06-30-07, 10:30 AM
RE: Q: Grounding home alarm system through light switch Reply to Thread

Thanks for the info.

I have a quick follow-up ...

The AC wires from the alarm system go to a "power supply" two-pronged plug. I assume that I'll need to plug this into the wall like a normal power plug.

Does this mean that I need to run the ground wire from the alarm system to the "ground screw" of the socket I plug the "power supply" into?

Also, the AC power wires from the alarm system to the power supply will be running outside the wall so I can plug into the socket. The ground wire, through, needs to go from the alarm system to the socket's ground screw (behind the wall face). I'm thinking of running the ground wire behind the wall and AC wires in front of wall (to power supply plug).

Thanks,

/J