Kitchen Light not working

Old 06-30-07, 03:20 PM

Hi,

My Kitchen (ceiling) light has 4 florescent tube lights. 2 Weeks back, the light died suddenly. Flipped the switch.. no light. Last weekend, I replaced the light switch (thinking it was bad), but still no luck. What else could be the problem?

Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 03:26 PM

Hi,

My Kitchen (ceiling) light has 4 florescent tube lights. 2 Weeks back, the light died suddenly. Flipped the switch.. no light. Last weekend, I replaced the light switch (thinking it was bad), but still no luck. What else could be the problem?

Thanks
Nick

Old 06-30-07, 03:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like the light ballast has gone out. You should check for power at the wiring with a volt tester.

Typically, you can replace the whole fixture cheaper then buying a ballast.

Old 06-30-07, 03:32 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.. how does the light ballast look like? I don't have a volt tester, any other alternative ways to check?

Thanks
Nick

Old 06-30-07, 03:36 PM
Ok, first look around the sides of the fixture. Is there a round cylinder (usually silver) looking thing that screws on? If there is, this is called the starter, not all newer lights have this. If it has this, I would replace it.

The ballast is within the fixture and resembles a black brick with a bunch of wires going to it. Before you go around poking in there, shut the breaker off. You can get a cheap volt tester at auto and big box stores.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 06-30-07 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-07, 03:55 PM
Have you tried changing the tubes. If that doesn't work then it could be a bad ballast.
If you really think you have a power problem then use a tester to verify if there is incoming power at the fixture.

Old 06-30-07, 04:09 PM
There is a post from this user in the electrical forum. This one should be moved or the other one needs to be merged into this one.