sch40 or 80 pvc???

Old 06-30-07, 05:00 PM
sch40 or 80 pvc???

Hey all long time to talk, quick question cuz i'm not sure. a friend is running a pool ckt to his pump. I told him he needs a 20 ampckt on gfi breaker and a #8 bare ground run from the pump back to disc. He said he would rather not dig a ditch if he could run pvc up under a deck and secure it to the deck. Does this sound okay and if so or not please elaborate...thanks in advance SthrnAMP

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The PVC is fine. Use Sch80 where subject to damage.

However...who in the world told you/him that you need #8 back to the disconnect. This is definitely FALSE and whoever is giving such advice should cease giving further electrical advice as they clearly DO NOT know the code.

Old 06-30-07, 05:17 PM
#8 bare is to serve as an additonal ground to the pump body...the resy will be run in 12 that is hot nuetral and ground all 12 and an additional #8...where in do you see the problem?

Old 06-30-07, 05:20 PM
I really do have to comment. Your profile says you are a 10 year electrical "veteran".....and you had to ask this original question?

Edit to add: WHY #8????

Old 06-30-07, 05:21 PM
never ran across the situation before...attaching pvc to a deck...i always bury mine. I could have guessed although i try very hard to keep myself from guessing...If you read my profile than you know that i admit what i do not KNOW and if i have to guess than i don't KNOW and if i don't know than i feel its better to ask.

Old 06-30-07, 05:23 PM
I see you say "to the pump body". This is not, repeat NOT, for a ground. This is for the connection to the bonding grid?
This has NOTHING to do with grounding the motor.

Old 06-30-07, 05:24 PM
All apologies...everyone i have ever met has called this a ground lug on the pump body...not a "grid bond" Do forgive my ignorance i implore you

Old 06-30-07, 05:26 PM
I STRONGLY suggest you read up on Art. 680, Parts I & II.

Old 06-30-07, 05:59 PM
Speedy is correct you need to brush up on pools. If you havent installed the electrical to them it entails several required code safety upgrades and bonding requirements you dont generally come across in other areas of residential. Here is a link to something that will help. The type of pool has a bearing on how you wire it. Read this through then come back with questions that are more informed and easier to address. I'm not knocking you asking questions but pools require a little study before hand as they are very code intensive. Take a look at the gfci requirements for a pool pump you may not be required to have gfci, though it is always a good practice.

http://www.mikeholt.com/files/PDF/Pooldownload.pdf

Roger