stupid siding mounting blocks!!

Old 06-30-07, 11:00 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool stupid siding mounting blocks!!

pardon my typing, got my finger cut in a belt sander today, had to have someone pry the housing away from the roller to get my damn finger out... of all the dangerous tools I work with, ! never did anything but skin the tops of a few fingers with the belt sander!

Here is my dilemma. New garage, siding off, drilled 4" hole as instructed with template for old-work box in order to mount a motion light. Went to menards to get a mountting block... simple enough. hard to type with this bandage on. Well, they don't have any recessed mounting blocks for anything bigger than an outlet. The idiot at the desk said they sell :thousNDS" of these and people just run the wires from the box to the light, ignoring the 1" space between the box and the mounting block. Well, what the heck is the big gasket for that comes with the light? This guy made no sense. Doesnt seem to be a point in putting up a box and then not having anything at all seal against it. HD didn;t have the recessed boxes either, but at least they had a pamp;hlet that mentioned them... I can't find an extension for a round electrical box (i suppose because they;re typically used in the ceiling).

I checked, and there's no way I can extend the old work box out another inch to flush up against the mounting plate. This is what the places stock - how on earth are these supposed to be safe?

so frustrated!!! getting this particular house ready to sell, but I don't want to do a silicone and duct tape job on it... What I need is a version of the recessed outlet box that is made, but obviously bigger to fit the light in.

can anyone shed some light on this? I'm thouroughly confused. I used an after-siding octagon block on my own house when I realized my ex had just stuck wires through the wall and left them to corrode in the fixture, but I installed an outdoor box with that. This time I am trying to think ahead and do this with a nail-on mounting box and I can't!!!

Ahhh! (so I decided to belt sand the jam extension on the bay window instead... I should've stayed in bed!!

thanks for any and all advice. I'm about ready to just skip the mounting block and screw that sucker right up tight through the siding.... but I'd like to know the appropriate safe way that is supposed to happen!

thanks a bunch

gina

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-07, 05:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You should be able to obtain a plaster ring to attach to the holes in the round box, thereby giving you another 1/2-3/4" extension toward the block, if that is what you are seeking. Go to an electrical supply house for your information, rather than the big box stores. We usually mount pancake boxes to the surface where we want the light to go, because we can never be 100% sure where the siding will land, allowing proper placement for the block. That way the surface mount box can be adjusted to accommodate the siding.

Old 07-01-07, 08:16 AM
A
I am not sure I understand completely what you're trying to do, but here's what I got:

1. You want to cover the gap between the old work box and the mounting block surface? Presumably the "gap" is wood or something ignitable.

2. You want to protect the wiring from moisture?

If just #1 is a concern, Arlington makes an extension ring for round boxes, the BE1R. http://www.aifittings.com/m_2.htm Ask at Graybar etc. They ordered them in for me from Joliet. The problem with these is they have a surface flange that would make it hard to seat your mounting block, so you would have to route the back of the mounting block.

If you need waterproofing, can't you just caulk the mounting block onto the siding after it's installed?

Also why can't you set the old work box at the surface? Not that it's easy to explain without photos.

Old 07-01-07, 09:04 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
attach a pice of wood, the same thickness as the mounting block but smaller than the block so the block will set over the piece of wood. Then, mount your electrical box to that chunk-o-wood and the siding block over that. Box is now flush with surface of the siding block and the gasker performs intended purpose.

Old 07-01-07, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 91 Votes on 78 Posts
What you just found is the reason not to use those style blocks. As was already pointed out Arlington makes a wide selection of siding mount boxes that are very nice and easy to use.

www.aifittings.com

However, all may not be lost. Could you cut the hole in the siding block and mount an old work box in the gap between the wall and the siding? I seem to remember that some of those blocks are 1 1/2" deep. This is the same depth as a standard metal electrical box. I just screwed the metal box to the plywood and the face was flush with the front of the siding block.

Old 07-01-07, 11:27 AM
A
Good point pcboss! I haven't looked around the Arlington site in quite a while but here's a nice unit that might fit in this application:

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew24.htm